cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

We really need some consistency on this. I was told that once I paid my phone plan off I was free to unlock the phone and change networks. I paid my phone plan off yesterday and submitted a request shortly after. The unlock was refused due to not unlocking the 5S yet.

I've made it abundantly clear that some of O2's recent business decisions have annoyed the hell out of me and this being told one thing but doing another isn't doing O2 any favours at all in reversing that!

Message 151 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree Dave it's not clear at all
Message 152 of 171

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
davethorp. Did you get it in writing, recorded on your account, email from live chat or off Twitter for example?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 153 of 171

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Thankfully I have it in writing from someone in the executive office so I suspect I will eventually at some point in the near future get my phone unlocked. But it's still just rubbing salt into an already open wound as far as my relationship with O2 goes

EDIT they've also picked it up on twitter

Message 154 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why can't they just openly say one way or the other what they are doing regarding this
Message 155 of 171

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You shouldn't have to wait. It shouldn't be eventually, it should be available to you now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 156 of 171

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'd say you are in the clear then. Obviously more poor communication between departments, but 2 other forum members have recently paid off their 5S phone plans and had them unlocked so I guess it's the luck of the draw when you first submit your form.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 157 of 171

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

You shouldn't have to wait. It shouldn't be eventually, it should be available to you now.

Well quite

Message 158 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to confirm - current process is as follows:

Non-refresh contracts - not allowing unlock of 5c/5s.  yes, sometimes if you fill in the online form the person who reads the form might not notice its a 5c/5s and put it through.  this isn't the norm though, so don't expect it.

Refresh contracts - not allowing unlock of 5c/5s, unless you've paid off the phone plan.  at that point the phone is yours to do with what you please and therefore the unlock will be carried out.  If for any reason it gets rejected, push on it.

Message 159 of 171

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions
There's people not following the process then as my phone plan is paid off yet the unlock was still refused
Message 160 of 171