cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

So, the information given regarding unlocking the iPhone 5s on Refresh is correct.

Thanks for flagging the experience as it has highlighted that the process was not aligned across all channels. 

This has now been fedback and the process is being updated.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The 5 was not unlocked for 6 months the unlock info page has this info see the bit I have bolded. The page below maybe updated to explicitly exclude the 5s it was about a week after the 5 launched

If you're a Pay Monthly customer, then you can unlock your iPhone* at anytime for free. This doesn’t affect your contract though – you’ll still need to see out the rest of it. This policy may vary according to the handset you have purchased.

source http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just found this in the help section:

We won’t unlock iPhone 5s and 5c immediately. This is to make sure that genuine O2 customers get iPhone 5s and 5c on O2.

Thats just great, so I have paid the phone plan off for nothing!! 😞
Message 3 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the same kind of info from last year.

Live Chat should obviously have investigated this before giving you this information.

Shocking.

I'm not sure where you can go from here apart from you feeding your experience to higher levels. If you want the link to do so then just ask and I'll post it.
Message 4 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is what live chat told me as well ,pay it off in full and we will unlock immediately ,o2 really need to start singing from the same hymn sheet

Message 5 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree.

The site o2 staff are aware and will feed this back to the right department.
Message 6 of 171

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for letting us know about this and sorry for the misinformation! I'll pass it on now.

For those of who were told it was possible at the phone's release, when was it roughly?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

i was told 2 days ago the info and a friend of mine who received his ip5s today was told yesterday pay of the phone and we will unlock it

Message 8 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been a nightmare. Called customer services again today who where adament that they are unlocking once the phone is paid for in full and again escalated it.....

At 8pm I received another email from back office support saying: At the moment, we are not unlatching  iPhone 5c and 5s devices

Phoned tonight, they apologized and said they have just had another memo this afternoon saying they are not unlocking for 3 months. I have to call back tomorrow to arrange a return for a refund and cancellation on the contract. 

Bye o2! 😞

Message 9 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This has been a nightmare. Called customer services again today who where adament that they are unlocking once the phone is paid for in full and again escalated it.....

At 8pm I received another email from back office support saying: At the moment, we are not unlatching  iPhone 5c and 5s devices

Phoned tonight, they apologized and said they have just had another memo this afternoon saying they are not unlocking for 3 months. I have to call back tomorrow to arrange a return for a refund and cancellation on the contract. 

Bye o2! 😞

What a nightmare.

this is not doing the network any favours at all.

Live Chat which are outsourced Non Uk callcentres are certainly causing some issues recently.

facepalm.jpeg

Message 10 of 171