cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 3GS whilst abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was given an iPhone unlocked from 02 in dec 2012. I used it successfully on a giffgaff sim until I moved to New Zealand in January 2013. In NZ I upgraded my iOS and the phone has been locked to 02 ever since. I don't want to hassle my ex work colleague to call 02 on my behalf to get an unlock for my phone. I have instead tried unsuccessfully to use the 02 gurus who keep refusing to help me because a) I am overseas? b) the number for my iPhone is a Giffgaff sim number and not 02 number so they can't help me! c) It's locked to 02 on my ex colleagues contract and they want his number and contract details...I have no idea of his contract details and he retains his old number on his new 02 contract and iPhone 4S not my 3GS model. Can anyone advise me I have been trying to resolve this for 6 months. thanks
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with contacting a family member or good friend in the Uk and ask them to go thro the unlocking process for you.

Their are sim enhanced cards such as Rebel.

Please don't entertain messing around with the baseband of your iPhone 3.

So many people have run into issues with replacing it with an ipad baseband. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Unfortunately due to you being outside of the country its impossible as far as I know.

Are you staying in NZ? (Lovely place)

If so there are illegal methods which can't really be discussed on the boards but I can point you in the right direction via pm if you're technically minded?(don't worry it's not hugely extravagant just not for the faint of heart).

a second method would be to find yourself a nice dodgy market place and visit a phone store its most likely they'll offer some form of unlock for a price. I cannot guarantee the quality by any means but I know people who've had success here in England.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with contacting a family member or good friend in the Uk and ask them to go thro the unlocking process for you.

Their are sim enhanced cards such as Rebel.

Please don't entertain messing around with the baseband of your iPhone 3.

So many people have run into issues with replacing it with an ipad baseband. 

Message 3 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Sounds like the initial unlock was unsuccessful or wasn't done through O2. There is little that you can do and I think even your friend in the UK would have difficulty getting it unlocked as it hasn't been on the network for 6 months. I know Giffgaff is run via O2 but for all intents and purposes that wouldn't be perceived as usingthe O2 network.

It seems your only choices are to contact your friend on the off chance they will unlock it for him, use a spurious means and all the risks that come with that or trade it on ebay and try to put the proceeds to an unlocked phone.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you So much for your replies and suggestions. I will try each one in turn - I'm determined to achieve this! Liquid you're so right NZ is a great spot, so lovely in fact that there is no one I can find on the South Island doing del boy phone unlocks...Amazing!
Really appreciate your help.
Message 5 of 6

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You get a kudo for the only fools and horses remark grin

Let us know how you get on:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 6