cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA phone in UK

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will be travelling to the USA at the end of the month and was wondering whether I could purchase a SIM free iPhone 6 over there, bring it back it over to UK and stick my existing SIM card back into it or is it a different GSM band or something?

Might as well get it way way cheaper than what we are being charged here!!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24007 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

You may get away with paying the VAT or any import duties if you brought it into the country in your pocket, but it's still not a cheap phone wherever it's bought, and not having a fully functioning phone is hardly worth the expense. You might be able to convince Apple that you're only visiting if it needed a repair, but its value would be next to nothing when it came time to sell it. That, in and of itself, negates any saving you may think you're making by buying it in the US.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149547 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

It's not worth it at all for the tiny saving to be made....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 22

jonsie
  • 94071 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

You may get away with paying the VAT or any import duties if you brought it into the country in your pocket, but it's still not a cheap phone wherever it's bought, and not having a fully functioning phone is hardly worth the expense. You might be able to convince Apple that you're only visiting if it needed a repair, but its value would be next to nothing when it came time to sell it. That, in and of itself, negates any saving you may think you're making by buying it in the US.

I totally agree, just not worth the hassle to save a few pounds.

Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know what the exact saving would be.

Not taking into account anything ref taxes and anything else apart from just buying the phone in the states ?
Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 126063 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know what the exact saving would be.

Not taking into account anything ref taxes and anything else apart from just buying the phone in the states ?

Ask Bambino...I expect being from States he would know better than anyone?? (All supposing he is interested in the iPhone...which he probably isn't)...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 149547 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
From memory it was around £150 without the vat and import duty.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 22

jonsie
  • 94071 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Can you buy sim free in the States? I suppose so from Apple but I can see the same supply problems as here in the UK.

Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 149547 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
They do state an outright purchase price on the website so I presume so.....
Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 94071 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

What's the chances of walking into Apple and walking out with an iphone 6 though. Maybe in a couple of months.

Message 19 of 22

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24007 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

I'm not the least bit interested in buying one, but this is from a Daily Mail article:

'The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will be available, unlocked, directly from Apple for £539 for the 16GB model, £619 for the 64GB model and £699 for the 128GB version. 

The 16GB version of the larger iPhone 6 Plus will sell for £619, this rises to £699 for the 64GB handset and £789 for the 128GB version.'

'In the US, the iPhone 6 will start at $199 on a two-year contract for 16GB, $299 for 64GB and $399 for 128GB.

The iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 for 16GB, $399 for 64GB and $499 for 128GB.'

Those US prices quoted don't include state sales tax, as they differ from state to state.

If you want to read the whole article, it's here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2750540/Are-Apple-customers-slaves-firm-Desire-789-iP...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 22