Travel Router To Boost Wifi Signal On Apple Devices

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hello all,

I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

I have been looking online for possible solutions to my wifi issue.  Basically, we have the Virgin SuperHub and before that we had a Virgin modem with a Netgear Router.  I have found that since the iPhone 5 was released, the Virgin/Netgear Routers do not like the Apple devices (iPhone and iPad).  The signal has been poor even when the SSID is changed.  The wifi signal is strong when I am right next to the router, however in my room, which is furthest from the router, the wifi signal drops.  In order to get the signal again I usually have to walk aimlessly on our landing until the iPhone or iPad picks up the signal.

I have read online about using travel routers such as this TP Travel Router

I do not want to use it as a new router.  I read that it is possible to have it in rooms where the wifi signal is poor (such as my room) as a way of boosting the current router.  It is not a huge boost that needs just a bit and since it is on offer at the moment I thought it is a good idea to look into it.  I know the saying "you get what you pay for" but all I'd like is just a bit of a boost so that the signal is better in my room.

It says it can be plugged in and work right away without a set up and there's about 4 options which it can be used for (reapter mode).

Has anybody got a TP Travel Router or another type of travel router? What is your opinion? Would it be possible to boost the signal? Would it be compatible with iPhone 5s and iPad mini?

All of your opinions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I browsed more articles online regarding signal issues in the home when using a router.  I read about some common sense things such as putting the router in a place where there are no obstacles (such as walls or other electronic devices) and also in a central place in the home so that the signal is more even in all rooms.

Therefore I decided to give it a go before going crazy at the shops buying something that I may not need.

It's only been a few hours but up to now the signal has improved slightly in rooms where there seemed to be a 'black spot.' I feel a bit silly for not considering this in the first place as it seems so simple and I didn't realise how much difference a wall would make.

Fingers crossed it will continue to be stable otherwise I will have to purchase one of the items that you suggested.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23564 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

You might also want to take a look at the Huawei WiFi Repeater. You can find it on Amazon, or you can Google it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thank you @Bambino

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi-Fi-Repeater/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388057373&...

I have read the set up guide and it seems easy to use.

Message 3 of 16

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23564 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

Yes. It also says there's a newer model for a little more, but I doubt it's necessary or worth the money. I don't use it myself, but I had come across it a while ago, and thought it might be good for what you're looking for. If you get it, let us know how you get on with it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I've been reading some reviews on 'wifi repeaters' and a lot of them say that they don't work as they immediately lose 50% of their signal strength due to having to receive and then send the signal out to other devices.

I'm really baffled with this.

I don't even know what option is best now as I have read about options for when there are 'black spots' in the home and it suggests things like a 2nd router or powerline ethernet adapters and I haven't got a clue about them.

Message 5 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
POwerline with the end in your room as an access point something link this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av200-200mbps-powerline-kit-with-integrated-n150-wireless-range-ex...
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks @adamtemp64

I don't really know how that would work.  It says plug it in to devices.  I can't plug it in to my iPhone and iPad.

Message 7 of 16

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
you attach one in a mains socket near the router downstairs and link via ethernet cable then set up the unit upstairs in a mains socket and follow its setup instructions for its own wifi hotspot
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 16

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Just to clarify, do both units need to be connected to a device? Or does just one need to be plugged in to a socket and connected to the router and the other just needs to be plugged in to a socket?

Message 9 of 16

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
1 in socket by router connected to router the other in the socket in the room required . it then creates its own wifi hotspot in the other room.
Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 16