cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting from iPad with Cellular feature

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got an iPad PRO with SIM and can't see how to send/receive texts to non-Apple devices.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You could use Tugo
http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You cannot do native sms on the ipad only imessages or tugo.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous If you are also using an iPhone, go into settings, messaging, text message forwarding and make sure the iPad Pro toggle is green.

IMG_0082.PNG

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does iMessage use the SIM?  If not, why the hell does O2 bundle the iPad with a tariff that includes 100 free texts?  If it DOES use the SIM, how do I make it work?  Every time I creat ad send a messsage it fails ... in red!

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI.  Not using a iPhone, just trying to send texts direct from iPad using the O2 SIM inserted.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
You can send iMessage from the message app providing you are connected to either wifi or mobile data.
It does use the sim for this but only the data connection off the sim.
ALL tablet tariffs come with texts as some of the more capable android tablets can send and receive them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Every time I creat ad send a messsage it fails ... in red!

You don't have a data connection or you have run out of data.

Check mobile data switch is ebabled in settings or try it on wifi.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a summary of my woes:

I have had several goes at resolving my issue with the O2 Support Advisors, but still to no avail. This culminated in a promised call back from an O2 Support Manager yesterday (17 March) p.m. ... that did not materialise.

My issue is with functionality on the recently supplied iPad PRO and with the SIM tariff included. It transpires that voice calls cannot be made to or from the iPad, thus the SIM has no voice function. This was not made clear, and on two of three discussions with O2 support, it simply became foggier! During all of this, it was first suggested that I transfer the SIM to my mobile (which I had kept), but this simply proved that there was indeed no voice function on the SIM.  That advisor tried to get the voice function activated on the SIM - to no avail. The next advisor's idea was to send me a new SIM that would have voice capability. On arrival, that SIM was proved to be just like the original one. However, texts were possible when inserted in my phone.

Eventually, I was advised that this state of play was, in fact, the case, so I suggested that I be switched onto a Tariff that included call minutes. I was then told that the system would not allow this, as the tariff was tailored to the device. Apparently, the "system" will not allow this change. This seems ridiculous since I am left unable to use my mobile number for voice calls. I have since discovered, following dialogue with Apple, that the iPad cannot make SMS/MMS text calls using the supplied SIM because these also use the "voice" function of the SIM.  It was even suggested that the contract is cancelled and the iPad returned, However, this would incur a cancellation fee!  My response to that was a) I WANT TO KEEP THE IPAD and b) over my dead body!

Since I wish to keep the iPad, especially since I have already purchased several accessories, I simply require that O2 switches me onto a tariff that has voice call function and includes call minutes. I cannot believe that to be impossible to achieve, especially since the device agreement and the Tariff are managed and billed separately. This saga started on Monday 13 March and has yet to be resolved.

[Apologies for the length of this "Non-fiction" piece]

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Like I suggested before, try Tugo?
But you will need to register on a phone that can receive the confirmation text.
O2 have never provided voice on any tablet tariff and they aren't designed to be a replacement for a phone I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11