cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Lost 4G When Upgrading Simplicity Contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a simplicity contract and I ran out of data so I decided to upgrade 1 level and get more data per month. I was receiving 4g before but now it has suddenly stopped and I can only get 3G. Checked the data setting on my IPhone and it is set to 4G and it has been a few days so I thought the issue might have been solved by now but no luck. 

Any ideas.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

All data boltons will work on an iPhone as long as the user amends the apn on the settings as we have always advised, the apn has no control over 2g 3G or 4g data only the system applied restrictions like visual voicemail etc

@PhoneDoc unless things have changed 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If the status checker shows no problem then as advised, call customer service.

Message 12 of 17

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I thought the op was on a simplicity contract....from O2?

I don't think the OP mentioned where they upgraded - resellers can offer SIM only upgrades as well, and always tend to stick people on UK data when they do. 

@adamtemp64 Yup, things have changed. There's now no need to ammend the APN settings when a UK data SIM is in an iPhone - it's now possible to access the internet regardless. Whether or not it's completely compatible and allows 4G access I do not know.

Edit: In fact I'd imagine it's not completely compatible - as we're still meant to assign customers the iPhone data bolt on where appropriate.

Message 13 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I never understood why the data settings couldn't be directly linked to the carrier profile - it would save so much faffing about.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 17

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
Yeah it's unnecessarily awkward. Fortunately when upgrading on to a SIM only contract direct through O2, our systems will automatically select whatever data bolt on you used previously. The problems really arose in the past from resellers who are either unable or unwilling to add the appropriate bolt on at point of sale. It's not so bad now though since the changes have been put in place.
Message 15 of 17

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:
Yeah it's unnecessarily awkward. Fortunately when upgrading on to a SIM only contract direct through O2, our systems will automatically select whatever data bolt on you used previously. The problems really arose in the past from resellers who are either unable or unwilling to add the appropriate bolt on at point of sale. It's not so bad now though since the changes have been put in place.

@PhoneDoc As I thought only the issue of being put on a non iPhone tariff has been resolved so the issues @Anonymous cannot be down to a tariff data Bolton size change !

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 16 of 17

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

That depends on whether the OP requested a tariff transfer for more data or had their contract upgraded to another SIM only contract offering higher data. We don't know this yet as OP hasn't returned - so aren't in a position to say definitely what is, or is not, causing their issues.

Message 17 of 17