Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim data working but showing no signal bars, calls/texts not working

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just got a secondhand iPhone 5 from a CEX store, and as it takes a nano sim I went to an O2 shop and got a nano sim to replace my micro one.

The sim appears to have activated - the old one now no longer works and the new one's data is working - but it's not showing any signal bars and calls/texts are not working - either outgoing or incoming.

Is there a problem with the phone or the sim? I've tried a full settings and content reset on the iPhone, tried resetting the network settings and done a soft reset on it, all to no avail.  I've tried taking the sim out and cleaning it, made sure it's seated properly.

Why aren't calls and texts working? Will that activate within the 24 hours since getting the sim, or do I have a problem somewhere?

Cheers slight_smile

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147395 Posts
  • 637 Topics
  • 28316 Solutions
Greed and because society is broken 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 21 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad it's all sorted.

It's a shame that people sell phones on eBay, CEX etc and then report them to be lost or stolen. 

What is the point of that? They still get paid from the sale...

Because they have money in their pocket from the sale and then another replacement is sent via the network/insurance company, and they can sell it all over again or use it.

Glad you got sorted OP.

Really they should have waived the shortfall as said.

Message 22 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true that MI5 and bob.

I've sold all my phones on eBay and never even thought of doing something awful like that to the person that bought it of me..

Glad the OP is finally enjoying his new phone.

Message 23 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very true that MI5 and bob.

I've sold all my phones on eBay and never even thought of doing something awful like that to the person that bought it of me..

Glad the OP is finally enjoying his new phone.

Me too.

I recently sold my iPhone 5 to CEX to raise funds to help buy my iPhone 5s.

I wouldn't even contemplate such a shady manoeuvre.

Message 24 of 27

Sammy_boy
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I don't understand it either, they'll be tracked down too I'm sure, if anything from the phone's IMEI number?

Relieved it's sorted out now though, it'd be interesting to hear how the finding and prosecuting of the fraudsters though I suspect I won't be able to follow it up!

Message 25 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure what they could do apart from suspend the members account and pass the details on to the police.

You would not be able to follow this up.

At least you can now move on.
Message 26 of 27

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not sure what they could do apart from suspend the members account and pass the details on to the police.

Since you need to show photographic ID to become a member and sell items at the CEX shop, I am sure they have enough information to provide to the police.

Message 27 of 27