cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shampoo soaked phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Put my phone in a bag for temporary move, along with a bottle of shampoo which didn't realise had a loose lid. When we unpacked, there was shampoo all over the phone. Has it died for good or is it sleeping? Tried drying it with a hairdryer. Currently can only switch on with the switch at the top, and it's only showing calendar.

Anyone any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Best advice would have been to take the battery out and put both that and the phone in an uncooked bag of rice for up to a week. Water is bad but I would think that shampoo will be even harder to dry out.

You could still try that but the most people make the mistake of trying to switch on too soon. Water, electricity and circuit boards don't give good results.

Are you possibly covered under your home insurance for personal items?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Best advice would have been to take the battery out and put both that and the phone in an uncooked bag of rice for up to a week. Water is bad but I would think that shampoo will be even harder to dry out.

You could still try that but the most people make the mistake of trying to switch on too soon. Water, electricity and circuit boards don't give good results.

Are you possibly covered under your home insurance for personal items?

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haver now left it to "settle". Should have insurance cover! Only just renewed my contract, too!

Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't suggest trying to remove the iPhone battery or you could fully invalidate the warranty and possibly cause more damage.
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

My bad Smiley Embarassed should have noted that it was an iphone! Not sure there will any warranty applicable though an out of warranty replacement via Apple....is liquid damage a no-no?

Message 6 of 6