cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Battery.

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I had my O2 Sim in my iPhone 5, I had the option to select 2,3 or 4G. I know the 4G wasn't relevant to the 5, but if I know I was going to an area with limited coverage I would select 2G to conserve battery etc.
On the iPhone 6, there is only the option to Enable 4G? Which I leave it disabled unless I know I'm going somewhere that has it.
Would this use more battery as the phone would be constantly searching between E and 3G?
When I make the 5 a 4G handset, e.g inserting a 3 Sim I get the same option to only Enable 4G.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Deaveman.

This has been a topic of discussion not too long ago when I approached O2 through this forum about the toggles when my 3G toggle was lost on my iPhone 5s when I upgraded to a 4G tariff.

They said it was Apples doing.

After speaking to Apple they said its within the Carrier File that O2 have control over.

O2 re introduced the toggles in some androids firmware via a carrier update so it must be possible. Why it hasn't has not been explained by O2.

I wanted the 3G toggle primarily to allow a more stable phone call if in fringe coverage.

Yes the iPhone will search out the strongest signal so it would switch between the strongest connections that available where you are. This does use more battery power as its searching for that strongest signal although I'm not convinced it's a massive amount overall.

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146969 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Phones will seek the FASTEST connection speed, not the STRONGEST, otherwise the issue would be irrelevant.
Your phone will lock onto 1 bar of 4G in preference to 5 bars of 3G if it see's 4G available.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 124236 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Phones will seek the FASTEST connection speed, not the STRONGEST, otherwise the issue would be irrelevant.
Your phone will lock onto 1 bar of 4G in preference to 5 bars of 3G if it see's 4G available.

Now that's something else I have learnt. When I travel into a 4G area now... I wont query why this has happened. (All supposing it does)  Thanks @MI5 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 146969 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
It's a common misconception Cleoriff but the intended operation is so......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers @Anonymous Forgot I posted in one of the replies

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/So-where-is-this-promised-3g-toggle-off-button/td-p/796121/highlight/true/page/2

That was when I had a 3G Sim, just tried it again with latest iOS and a 4G Sim in the 5 and get exactly same options.

I remember when I was having network issues in my home town, O2 advised me to switch to 2G, obviously cannot me the case now as it's no longer an option!

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries.

I'm sure many are still awaiting a resolution.

Out of interest are you having battery issues with the iPhone 6 ?
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not noticed any battery issues yet?
Should there be?
Had TomTom and music playing through head unit on 3 hour journey the other day and was expecting battery to be fully charged but obviously was just powering screen as probably incorrect output from Sony Head unit.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
No I don't mean you should see any.

I use the iPhone 6 Plus and achieve 2-3 days usage.

Slightly bigger battery in my model I submit.
Message 10 of 12