cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving/Backing up Text Msgs from an iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I would like to downlaod and save my text messages from an iPhone4 - is there an easy way to do this please?

Thanks, J

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Apple help link here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Back up to iTunes or the cloud.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Apple help link here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or you can take a screen shot by quickly holding the sleep/wake button and home button. 

It will then be in your camera roll. 

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks for responses.

Once I have backed up to iTunes, is there any way I can transfer the texts to, say, MS Word to print and manipulate?

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There is an app for android called SMS Backup Pro that allows you to save text messages to your gmail account. Once there, you can do whatever you wish with them.
Check if the app is available (or similar) for Apple. I'm not aware of any way to strip individual content from an iTunes backup although there must be some software out there I don't suppose it will be easy.....?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Great, thanks for responses.

Once I have backed up to iTunes, is there any way I can transfer the texts to, say, MS Word to print and manipulate?

I believe the text message backup transfers to excel pretty well.

I'll have to dig around.....

Message 7 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Check this link for information on various ios text backup services (unofficial)
https://ting.com/blog/you-asked-backing-up-iphone-sms-messages/
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you back up your iPhone with iTunes, and then restore your new iPhone off of this backup, the text messages will be restored onto your new iPhone.

If you don’t physically need the messages kept in the Messages app, but just want the text/contents. You can always copy and paste the text messages contents into the Notes app that’s on your iPhone.

To do this:

1: Go into the Messages app.

2: In the list of messages touch the one you want to read.

3: On the text bubble/s, touch (keep your finger on it) and you should now get a black bubble/text box appear with the options of Copy and More. Touch the Copy one.

4: Go into the Notes app and click on the + to create a new note. Double tap on the screen and choose Paste. The contents of the text message/text bubble will now be pasted into the note.

Once you have the contents in the Notes app, you can then access these on a Windows computer by going to www.icloud.com and you will then see amongst other things, the Notes app that you have on your iPhone.

Once you click on that you will be able to see all the Notes you have created. From there, you can copy the contents of the note and use it in MS Word or any other program that can print, manipulate text. If you have a Mac, this has the Notes app built into it, and there would be no need to go to www.icloud.com on a Mac.

Not the slickest of ways of doing it, but another option/way of doing it.

Message 9 of 9