cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using mobile in Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable
Abroad in Europe, phone says " could not activate data network "

Roaming is activated. Currently in Europe. My mobile says - you are not subscribed to a mobile network. Please help. I have data . The mobile has picked up the local network. No internet available
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Make sure data roaming is turned on and check what your data apn is.
Try a manual network search for alternative local networks and also reboot the phone a few times to see if it connects.
If your apn is idata.o2.co.uk try changing it to mobile.o2.co.uk or vice versa.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had same in France twice. Despite doing manual search and reboots. Family also on O2 no such problem- so would be interested to see if re-boots worked for you. 

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Another thought....
Check if you have data enabled for safari or the app you are trying to use as individual apps can be restricted in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous and @Anonymous are you still having problems connecting to the networks today? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. It still doesn't work and I don't think I should start deleting and resetting things in.case when I'm. Back it's another iSsue u see.
Message 6 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous OK I'm not aware of any widespread issues but will double check with the rest of the team wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Something we often find (which has been confirmed today) is that users are on the wrong data bolt on - hence my suggestion to harmlessly change your apn.

You can look in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 under your tariff bolt ons and check if you have the correct bolt on for your phone (iPhone data for iPhone or standard data for Android and other devices).

Once the correct bolt on is selected, your data will work both home and abroad without any issues.

Contract Data BoltOn

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

HW2018
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5, changing the data network setting from ’idata’ to ‘mobile’ worked for me 🙂
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@HW2018 wrote:
Thanks MI5, changing the data network setting from ’idata’ to ‘mobile’ worked for me 🙂

Pleased to hear it mate 😁

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10