cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor signal

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I'm new to the O2 forum but not to O2 but I'm about ready to change my network as I am sick of the poor reception I am getting at home, I live in the BT8 postcode and the O2 checker says that the signal is good and that there is no work ongoing but I cannot have a mobile call without the signal failing, I have an iPhone and my wife who is also with O2 and suffers the same problem has samsung so it is not the phone giving the problem, is there nothing that can be done to improve the signal or do I and my wife and neighbours become vodaphone customers?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23991 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

Before you become Vodafone customers, get a Pay & Go sim from them, and see what their reception is like. It could just be that the signal is poor because of your home itself. Sometimes certain building materials can block phone signals.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149393 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

You can use TUGO if you have wifi at home.

TUGO

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

And if your not a Pay Monthly customer and cannot have TuGo then whatsapp or viber are viable alternatives, if your on pay as you go.

If your a business customer then a BoostBox is an option.

Remove your sim card and give it a wipe with a clean dry cloth, and or have it exchanged at an o2 shop for a new one. They will perform the swapmysim there for you.

Ultimately if your not locked into a contract then swapping Networks is an option.

I would suggest you obtain payg sims from the ones your interested in and try them out for a few weeks where you live, commute and work.

If your phones not unlocked then follow this link to Unlock it.

Its free to contract customers and £15 to Payg Customers {T&C Apply to Payg Customers}

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23991 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

Before you become Vodafone customers, get a Pay & Go sim from them, and see what their reception is like. It could just be that the signal is poor because of your home itself. Sometimes certain building materials can block phone signals.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Do you have a cover/case on your phone?

When I first got my iPhone out of the box I put my cover on it and set it up and the signal dropped to about 2 bars most of the time.  I also had issues connecting to my wifi at home even when I was right next to the router.  I was advised to get a bumper cover instead as my previous one was a full back cover.  I had the same issue with the bumper cover.  I decided to leave all covers off and see what happens and hey presto I have full signal!

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's normally the metal bumpers and cases that can cause signal degradation.

Some nice cone with sponge inserts to stop it touching the antenna band or have plastic inserts to match where the break is in the iphone antenna band.
Message 6 of 7

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I agree with @Bambino - you need to check what the signal is like with other networks at your home.  A friend of mine used to be on Orange and she could not get any signal at all whilst she was in her house.  It was something to do with the surrounding buildings blocking the phone reception.  I don't know if there is a map to find out about the surrounding areas affects on signals but all I can suggest is getting a different sim to test it.

Message 7 of 7