Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

Re: Poor battery life on a new iPhone, then read this

No worries - if I think of any more I'll add them Smiley Wink

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

These are very useful tips, thanks a lot!

I don't agree with switching 3G off however. Sure, that will save some battery but do you really want to be switching it on and off whenever you go in and out of a wifi area? I would find that more inconvenient than charging it every day.

Either way, I didn't have to do any of these for my iPhone 4 and it lasted 3-4 days on a full charge the way I used it. However, the iPhone 5 goes from 100% to 70% on standby overnight, sitting next to my iPhone 4 which is now on O2 pay as you go so signal strength will be the same. That is clearly not right so I will be visiting the Apple shop next week.

Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

These are very useful tips, thanks a lot!

I don't agree with switching 3G off however. Sure, that will save some battery but do you really want to be switching it on and off whenever you go in and out of a wifi area? I would find that more inconvenient than charging it every day.

Either way, I didn't have to do any of these for my iPhone 4 and it lasted 3-4 days on a full charge the way I used it. However, the iPhone 5 goes from 100% to 70% on standby overnight, sitting next to my iPhone 4 which is now on O2 pay as you go so signal strength will be the same. That is clearly not right so I will be visiting the Apple shop next week.

It is not uncommon to get shorter battery life out of a brand new phone, this is due to the battery been new and as such needs a few complete charges and discharges. If you follow my tip of doing 3 complete charges and discharges, and also some of the other tips I mentioned in the first post, I would definitely expect you to see a increase in your battery life. If however you don't then yeah definitely go to the Apple Store and see them about getting it replaced.

Another thing to consider too (and this has been the same for pretty much all of the software releases that the iPhone has had) is that with any new software release there will bugs, and some of these can affect the battery life for some users. Apple will release a software update shortly I expect to iron out bugs etc that are in iOS 6, they done the exact same thing with iOS 5 and probably all other versions of the iOS software.

Highlighted
Level 5: Ponderer

Magical stuff, well done mate.

I would add how bright you have the display serious alters the battery life also.

I didnt know about the usage and diagnostics going to apple, turning mine off now!

I think the battery like seems the same to the iphone 4

Anonymous

@gjdemon6646 wrote:

Magical stuff, well done mate.

I would add how bright you have the display serious alters the battery life also.

I didnt know about the usage and diagnostics going to apple, turning mine off now!

I think the battery like seems the same to the iphone 4

Yeah it does, I have mine set at roughly 75 percent, with auto brightness on. The auto brightness is useful because when you are in bright sunlight, you can actually watch the brightness level move up all by itself, it does this so that the screen is easier to read when in bright sunlight/well lit area.

I am only on my second charge (so I've only managed at present to do one total discharge) but I am seeing battery life to be either the same or slightly better than my 4S. I will have a better idea of battery life once I have done the three full charges and discharges.

Anonymous

May have to try the 3 discharges although I didn't think it mattered with the type of batteried the phone uses.

Never had any problems with my 4's battery life
Anonymous

Turning 3G on and off all the time isn't ideal - but it only takes a few seconds and it really does improve battery life.

When iOS 5 first came out, Apple had removed the option to turn 3G off. Having sent feedback to Apple (along with other people), they put it back.

About 90% of the time, I'm in a WiFi hotspot so 3G isn't needed. It's only when I'm on a bus or train that I have to turn it on (if needed).

Anonymous

Please rember iPhone uses lithium ion battery and fully discharging it will reduce its life span and is not nesseasary

see here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Please rember iPhone uses lithium ion battery and fully discharging it will reduce its life span and is not nesseasary

This is copied off of Apple's website:

"Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)"

Here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/iphone.html

Anonymous

Just tested my iPhone 5 32gb from a full charge until it shut down. I had 3G connectivity on but prodominantely used the phone at home via wifi. I had most of my apps on push notifications and email pushing every 30 minutes.

Useage stats - 6hrs 30 mins

Standby 23hrs 45 mins

I'm quite happy with the result, as long as the battery can last the day with medium useage that would be fine for me. Smiley Happy