cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone won't sync with laptop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Please could someone help me. I'm trying to back up my phone in readiness of getting my new one and it's not working. I've tried with several charger leads and each one i put in won't connect. It just keeps jumping from charging and then not so won't connect. I've tried in all of the ports on my laptop and none will work. They all will charge my iphone but as soon as i connect to laptop they don't work. Is there something im doing wrong. Also can't seem to synch via wifi either. Any help appreciate please and thanks 

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help everyone. It's seems it was just the fake leads i was using. I have now got a genuine one and it is working well. Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Are they genuine Apple leads as some non original ones are known not to work for data transfer?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did hear that iOS 8 did kind of break wifi syncing. However when I hook up with a lightening cable and disconnect it then connects via wifi. Maybe the bug in iOS 8 and wifi !

You can back up to iCloud with out having to hook up to iTunes.

More here https://www.apple.com/uk/support/icloud/backup/
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I know they aren't all original leads but they work for charging and synched my husbands phone. My laptop is quite new so i don't know whether that has anything to do with it. i have reinstalled i tunes and rebooted by phone but still it won't work. If i back up using i cloud will that transfer to my i tunes account so i can then transfer to my new phone?  Also when i go to the itunes wi fi sync in my general setting it won't let me click on it. Thanks for your help. 

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Yes it will.

Open my link and follow http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12520

On iOS 8 it's ..... Settings - iCloud - Back up which is just below PassBook, and choose back up now.

When you insert your SIM card in the new iPhone part of the set up process is to set up as a new iPhone ,or use a back up. You choose your back up and all your info and settings will download into your iPhone.

It's best to do this over wifi to save tour data allowance.
Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I would try a genuine Apple lead to connect to your iTunes - Some phones are more fussy than others.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've just tried to do it on another laptop and it works with the lead so i'm thinking that it's maybe something  to do with my laptop. Is there something that I need to activate to be able to sync my phone on to it please?

In the meantime I have backed my phone up onto icloud but would like to know why i can't sync with this laptop.

Many thanks 

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
What operating systems are the 2 laptops running?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is windows 8 and the other one is 7. I've tried an i pad in mine too and it doesn't work either. thanks 

Message 9 of 19

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Firewall or Anti-Virus

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 19