cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas and iPhone is network locked

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently in Australia travelling for a year and when I got here and bought a local sim card I discovered my iphone was network locked to O2. This would be fair enough if I had aquired my phone via an O2 contract, however I actually purchased this phone myself direct from Apple so in my opinion O2 shouldnt have locked it in the first place!

I sent them the form to unlock it which, to be fair, they did very promptly however to complete the process I need to connect the iphone to my itunes. Unfortunately the laptop I am synced with is still back in the UK so I cannot connect to that iTunes. Tried emailing O2 and got an automated response asking me to live chat, whenever I log on all their advisers are busy so I cant livechat!!

THis is absolutely infuriating as the phone shouldnt have been network locked to start with, its my property not O2's! Does anyone know if I just connect to another iTunes and not sync the phone, will this complete the process?

If anyone from O2 is reading this then please contact me sharpish to sort this problem out - so so annoying!!

Rant over

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Siscar and Welcome to the forum,

If you paid full retail price at the Apple Store then it should have been factory unlocked, and does not lock out to the first sim card placed in it.

If you upgraded at the Apple Store then it will have been locked to O2.

iTunes is designed to follow you to any Pc or Mac.

All you do is download the latest version of iTunes and authorise the Pc/Mac in the iTunes settings. I believe you can authorise up to 5&Pc/Mac's.

If your using an iPhone 5 then that model does not require you to hook up to iTunes.

All you do is insert the alternative network sim card, and the process completes.
Message 2 of 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

If you bought the phone directly from Apple, then Apple should help you unlock it. Might be an idea to take it into an Apple store and let someone look at it there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 3