cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 smtp server no longer supported

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently upgraded by iPhone and found I was no longer able to send or receive emails on the phone via the 02 mobile data network. O2 say they no longer support sending or receiving emails on the iPhone mail app although they can still be received if you are wifi connected.

This isn't much good for me travelling frequently and Apple said they have only just heard about it and as it's an O2 problem they can't fix it.

Has anyone else discovered this failure?

SDP

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 email was terminated months ago. It no longer exists, it's a dead duck. It doesn't matter what phone you have I'm afraid.

Message 2 of 4

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just use your mail providers smtp/imap servers.

My mail on my iphone 7 is fine over mobile data using Madasafish (plusnet) and gmail servers

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The closure of o2 email service means the smtp server has been closed to.
Changing your smtp server to the one provided by your email provider will fix the issue but you will need to tick SSL ON and enter your username and password in the sending settings to authenticate the server when sending.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4