cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

O2 icon lock screen

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive got a iPhone 6 with ios 8.1.2 and the last day or so ive noticed a little o2 icon on the bottom left of the lock screen. Looks like the same icon to the o2 priority app.

Whats this for?
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm on macdonalds O2 Wifi now with no icon. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I have priority and everything turned on in the app and location settings.

No icon.

I feel left out ! ๐Ÿ˜‰

...to be fair - for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work all the time Smiley Frustrated

I commute to and from London Bridge train station every day and use my phone, both in the morning and evening, whilst standing in the station. I would say that I see the Southern rail icon, in the bottom left of my screen, less than once a week........

Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure @Anonymous although Apple don't allow any network bloat ware on their iPhones ,so possibly not because it's sim locked to O2.
Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for your explanation @DinoF

Certainly a conundrum. ๐Ÿ˜„
Message 23 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
@bandofbrothers, it is not bloatware, it is the networks badge & showing that the op has signal, I have had it on my iPhone's since the 3GS
Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous, it is not bloatware, it is the networks badge & showing that the op has signal, I have had it on my iPhone's since the 3GS

Then I'm really confused @Anonymous as I've never had the O2 logo on a lock screen on any of my iPhone's on O2  ,and their are no signal indicator dots on a lock screen to show strength. 

Signal Strength is shown via the 02-UK and the 5 dots in the iPhone's status bar in the left hand corner on the main Springboards / Homescreen. 

I did say Apple have not allowed O2 add 'any' bloatware on their iPhones. 

Message 25 of 33

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

As mentioned in a previous post this is due to location services. For example the O2 priority moments application icon appears usually when either in close proximity to an offer, or close to an O2 store. If you swipe over the icon it will open that application.

The same thing happens for me when I go to the cinema, when I visit my local ODEON the ODEON app logo appears in the bottom left, when swipped to unlock over the application it opens the ODEON app.

It has nothing to do with carrier settings, who your carrier is, or any bloatwear from your network

Message 26 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:

As mentioned in a previous post this is due to location services. For example the O2 priority moments application icon appears usually when either in close proximity to an offer, or close to an O2 store. If you swipe over the icon it will open that application.

The same thing happens for me when I go to the cinema, when I visit my local ODEON the ODEON app logo appears in the bottom left, when swipped to unlock over the application it opens the ODEON app.

It has nothing to do with carrier settings, who your carrier is, or any bloatwear from your network

Sounds perfectly viable to me and the reason why I asked what happened when it was swiped previously.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

This a feature introduced in iOS8. It tries to suggest the user an app based on their current location. Just swipe up on the icon to launch directly into that app.

Read more about iOS 8 suggested apps feature here:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/disable-ios-8s-suggested-apps-feature/

Hope that helps!

Message 28 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonsie, yes I work for O2, how did you guess?! 

I just joined as I saw this same strange icon on my iPhone lock screen and when I Googled it, I saw this thread. After more Googling, I found the answer and thought it'll help others here. Btw I'm just myself here and none of my comments or posts have anything to do with O2. I've been tech mad since the 5110 so thought I'd help out with like minded ppl! slight_smile

Message 30 of 33