cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbers not names

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi since having my new iphone 6s plus when i receive a text message it simetimes displays the contacts mobile number and not their name even though they are in my contacts list. Any ideas on how to solve this please?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi since having my new iphone 6s plus when i receive a text message it simetimes displays the contacts mobile number and not their name even though they are in my contacts list. Any ideas on how to solve this please?

I have this issue Haylz, more of a security issue.

What it is, when you switch you iPhone on and go to use Touch ID. You will be prompted to enter your PIN, then there after (until you swtich your iPhone off again) you can use Touch ID to unlock your iPhone.

Basically if you haven't unlocked your iPhone since you switched it on (i.e. went to use Touch ID, enter the PIN number when prompted) you will only get the number of the contact shown, rather than there name. This is because the iPhone can't get access to your contacts list/contacts app until you have unlocked your iPhone. Must be some sort of security setting.

You should find that if you always unlock your iPhone after you switch it on (i.e when you switch your iPhone on go to Touch ID to unlock it, enter PIN) that you should no longer get this issue. 

Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Haylz! Do you have the contacts saved on the iCloud or on another account? If they are on the iCloud you should see the name otherwise it could be an issue with the syncing. Go to an Apple store and let them sync them for you and let us know if they managed to solve the problem of it still continues

Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue has been around since Touch ID was first put on the iPhone with the iPhone 5S.

If you follow my advice in the earlier post, you should find that you no longer have the issue.

I suspect its due to the security of Touch ID and by this I mean that, the Phone app cannot access the details from the Contacts app until you have went through the unlock process I mentioned earlier.

The iPhone and its Operating System is praised for its security, but sometimes the security can be a bit too much (if that makes sense Smiley LOL )

Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi fatboy, i have tried what you suggested but it has made no difference unfortunately. Also at the moment it only happens with one particular contact. I have even deleted the contact and then re-entered it but it still displays the number and not the name. Its very frustrating.
Message 14 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Are you sure you haven't got the one contact listed as another entry Ie. home or mobile?

Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Double check the number saved is correct for that contact.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes iv checked the contact and also when the number flashes up its prefixed with +44 but i havent saved the number like that iv got it saved as 07 etc?
Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try saving it directly from your call log and replace it with the number currently stored on phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hifatboy, i have tried what you suggested but it has made no difference unfortunately. Also at the moment it only happens with one particular contact. I have even deleted the contact and then re-entered it but it still displays the number and not the name. Its very frustrating.

Some suggestions:

1: Go into Settings/General. Scroll down till you see Reset, touch this and choose RESET NETWORK SETTINGS the iPhone might reboot. Once its rebooted, follow the rest of the steps.

2: Go into Settings, scroll down to the iCloud section and touch it. 

3: Once you are in here, touch the switch to switch off Contacts.

4: Press the Home button to return you to the Home Screen.

5: Next press and hold both the Home button and the sleep/wake button, after a short while the screen will go blank, continue to hold both buttons until the Apple logo appears and then release both buttons.

6: Now go back into Settings/iCloud and switch back on the Contacts switch and see if the problem is still there.

Also, if its one particular contact, could it be due to a number port not going through correctly. I'm sure I read a while back on another forum about an issue with a number not showing correctly and it was mentioned about a number port not going through successfully?

When the issue happens, have you noted down the number shown on your iPhone (for that particular contact) and compared whether its the same number you have stored in the Contacts app?

Message 19 of 19