cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data abroad in Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm in Austria and can't get online with my iphone 6 - keep being told I don't have a data package which I do. This has happened in Italy and France as well. I've turned off 4G but that doesn't help. 

Impossible to get through to O2 on the phone - get cut off. If this can't be sorted I'm leaving O2 when I get back to the UK.

Thanks for any tips

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Do let us know if you find the problem but I do suspect the wrong data package.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 32

Bydandie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, two questions:

When was the last time you swapped your SIM?

What version of iOS are you on?

Message 12 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two years ago when I got the phone (same as my husband's) and 10.3.3 ( again same as my husband's whose phone is working fine picking up a different network that I can't get a service on)

Message 13 of 32

Bydandie
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cool, so that takes the SIM and operating system out of the equation.

What happens if you swap your SIMs over? (The only impact in this is that you may have to change the phone numbers bound to the devices afterwards, should be automatic, but the key areas where the phione number matter are in iMessage, FaceTime and the 'My number' under Phone).

[Edit] Also, did you do a sim swap when you got your phone?

Message 14 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're travelling at the moment so I'll need a good moment to try this. Will let you know. Thanks

Message 15 of 32

Bydandie
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No worries, just amended the post to ask if you did a SIM swap when you got your phone as well.

Message 16 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, we did!

Message 17 of 32

Bydandie
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I found this issue when the SIM became unbound just before going on holiday in May.  There are a number of systems that need to recognise the new SIM.

The way that mobile networks work is that the UICC (SIM card to you) has to be told it has your number on the systems (voice and data).  I was able to connect to data but not calls in my issue.  This is obviously a different issue to what you are experiencing, but it is a glitch that wouldn't be apparent in normal use, has it ever worked roaming?

Swapping the SIMs between your phones would rule out the phone or the SIM (if you're SIM works in your husband's phone then it's the phone, and vice versa).

Message 18 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I'm pretty sure it did. It's since they've lifted the roaming charges back in June that I've had this problem.

Message 19 of 32

Bydandie
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, when did you first notice the problem (only asking is that you say it happened since they lifted the charges, does that mean you've noticed the problem on the first time you've gone abroad since then or it was working before and stopped working when the cap was removed)?

Message 20 of 32