Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone stuck on set up

HGR123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
New iPhone11, swapping from iPhone8. Did sim swap fine, set up facial recognition and Apple Pay, O2 phoned part way through & now it’s stuck on the ‘Hello’ screen or it says ‘updating iCloud settings’. I’ve tried turning on & off, done a soft reset, removed sim & put back in. Can’t get to a settings page. What can I try? Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@HGR123 

Doo a full reinstall https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

HGR123
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for quick response but I can’t get on the phone to do a full reinstall as it’s locked on those 2 pages.
Message 3 of 10

O2Sophie
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 234 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 20 Solutions
Have you tried a hard reset?
signature
Message 4 of 10

HGR123
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes, just tried it now but still stuck on those 2 pages. Is there anything else I can try?
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@HGR123 

You have to press vol up then vol down then keep holding the power button (maybe for upto a minute) untill it resets.

All in the link above.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

O2Sophie
  • 234 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

Even if you hold the volume up and down buttons and the power button?

signature
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@O2Sophie 

You don't hold vol up and down buttons.

You press and release and then hold the power button.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

HGR123
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all and thanks for your suggestions. 

I tried both the hard and the soft resets, but unforutnately neither worked - it seemed to be allowing me to set up but then would revert to the loop of the same two screens. I think this was caused by receiving a phonecall whilst the phone was half way through setting up. 

In the end I took it to my son's and he tried to access it via iTunes on his PC, but it wouldn't appear as a device. In the end he deliberately entered the password wrong a couple of times and finally the phone appeared on the pc as a device and a new window opened on the phone, allowing for the phone to start its set up from the beginning again. Finally it was fixed! 

I hope this method will be useful for anyone else who has the misfortune to be in the same situation as I was. 

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
A full install was the only way forward in reality.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10