New iPhone 6 - random "No Service"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning ladies and gents,

Few historical facts that could help.

1. I had a contract iPhone 5 on O2

2. Switched my contract to Simplicity for iPhone

3. Then purchased "off the shelf" iPhone 6 from Apple Store directly

So when I switched to Simplicity I did received bunch of texts, emails and letters. One of the things I've received was a nano-SIM. Hence I've had iPhone 5 at the moment with it's nano-SIM already I haven't done that SIM Swap - thought it's just a regular O2 Simplicity for iPhone bundle what they send to their customers.

Fitted my old SIM - all good, 4G is on etc - no problems what so ever.

And then - I did had random "No Service" thing, twice in last 24h.

Switching iPhone off and then back on didn't helped, solution was to pull out a SIM and refit it again.

Questions:

1. Is there a special reason why O2 sent me that SIM? Or it is just a part of the regular bundle what they send to everyone?

2. Should I really suspect SIM because it was working all good on iPhone 5?

Yes I will give a go with SIM Swap tonight anyway, new SIM not going to harm, but I'm just curious about those SIM's - is there any "technological" difference (it's not like in olden days when they had storage capabilities and new SIM always ment "more Contacts space")

Thanks.

Regards,

Kris M

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Someone else had the same issue and had to do the sim swap to cure it.
You shouldn't have to, but it will rule out the possibility of a faulty one.
They always send out new sims just in case you need a different size one.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There should be no difference in the sims but it does seem that your old one is giving problems. You need to do the sim swap just to rule that out  or in as the problem. Should you have further problems it would be worth getting the phone checked out at the Apple store. They will change it if there is an issue with it.

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try your sim back in the iPhone 5 to see if you get the no service message.

I assume your masts are showing as good http://status.o2.co.ukvia this link.

Holding the Top Sleep/Wake Button and Home Button until the Apple Logo appears, and then let go of both. Your iPhone will reset.

And or ;

Settings , General , Reset , Reset Network Settings.

If these fail and it continues then you could book an appointment at your most local Apple Store Genius Bar to have the phone checked out under warranty.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very similar problem.

I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 through the Carphonewarehouse last Thursday. No new sim needed as I had a nano sim from the previous model. I set the phone up and transfered everything over - all seemed to be ok. On the Monday (just passed) the phone said it had 'no service'. I turned it off and on and the service came back, only to go off again shortly after. I carried out the same turn-off-turn-on procedure and needless to say, service came back only to turn itself off again. I took it into the Carphonewarehouse and spoke to the sales assistant who advised I needed to do a simswap which I was to go to the O2 shop for so of course I did that. It seemingly takes 24 hours to activate but at present I have reasonable service. The gent at the Carphonewarehouse said that if the new sim doesn't work it is likely I have a faulty handset. I paid a lot for the phone and am naturally extremely anxious.

Any advice?

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Any advice?

Wait and see if problem reappears after sim swap.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

GeorgeStark
Level 3: Thinker
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My scenario is virtually identical to yours in every way.  I had an iPhone 5 (already on a SIMplicity tariff), I renewed the contract, purchased an iPhone 6 from the Apple store, etc.

I did do the SIM swap, as O2 advised that my current SIM wasn't 4G enabled.  I'm also seeing the seemingly random 'No Service' indicator...from scouring the forums here, it seems that other people are seeing this, regardless of any SIM swap, iPhone 5/6, etc.

If it starts to happen more frequently for me, I'll report it to O2 although their standard protocol will be to send me a new SIM, blah, blah, blah and then ultimately probably tell me it's an issue with the handset and to go back to the Apple store.

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Wouldn't hurt to get the phone checked by Apple anyway if you have a store nearby.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

GeorgeStark
Level 3: Thinker
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'll see how irritating it gets.  It's quite a trek to the nearest store, never mind the crowds once you get there, the long wait to be seen, etc.

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can book an appointment to save hanging around, but up to you if it gets too irritating. Personally, it would drive me bonkers http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18