cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife seems to use loads of data, but we cannot understand why. She has used 80% in 3 days

Anonymous
Not applicable
5s
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@viridis wrote:
Yet no one has asked the important question,
Why turn off wifi and switch to 4/3g as a battery saving method??
In every phone I've had, mobile data kills battery much faster than wifi.

Appreciate what your saying. 

However every battery saving tips I've read has turning off wifi included in them. 

Example ->

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/3284240/how-improve-smartphone-battery-life/

http://uk.pcmag.com/smartphones/9960/feature/11-tips-to-boost-your-android-phones-battery-life

They both refer to turning off WiFi and other radio resources when NOT IN USE, not whilst connected to a stable WiFi signal 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
If they don't look right then I would suggest calling O2 Customer Services. 202 for Contract. 4445 for PAYG to put to them that data has been used in excess to actual real usage.

And if you have an Apple Store perhaps have a diagnostic run on the iPhone via a Genius Bar Appointment-> http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/
Message 22 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep
Message 23 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an identical phone and contract, using data far more and never have such issues. We're going to London next week, so we'll make an appointment at the apple store and get it checked out.
Message 24 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have an identical phone and contract, using data far more and never have such issues. We're going to London next week, so we'll make an appointment at the apple store and get it checked out.

Ok.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Message 25 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Anyone want a bet they say there's nothing wrong with it....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Oh yes @MI5 my point was nullified if of course not connected to a wifi connection.
In that scenario, wifi would use battery more as the constant seek for a new SSID to connect to.
However if sat in a stable wifi enabled area, the option of disconnecting wifi in favour of 3g or 4G data and then saying it's for battery saving is a bit faux pas as it would contradict real end user experiences.
Message 27 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Probably being a bit green here as usual but I have never understood this 'turn Wifi off' business...

I have stable WiFi at home in the UK and here in Spain where I am at present...and Wifi would be the last thing I turned off....Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Of course, what's really worrying is the sheer amount of data these phones seem to, very quickly, burn through.
Message 29 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Probably being a bit green here as usual but I have never understood this 'turn Wifi off' business...

I have stable WiFi at home in the UK and here in Spain where I am at present...and Wifi would be the last thing I turned off....Smiley Frustrated

and with location based WiFi now present on a vast array of android phones you can safely leave WiFi on constantly without any additional battery drain at all.....

Something else where android is years ahead of Apple......

Currently using:
Message 30 of 37