cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My unlocked iphone 6 bought from Apple has locked to O2 when my PAYG SIM was inserted

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iphone 6 was recently damaged and I got a replacement from an Apple Store.  I have always had unlocked phones and used PAYG SIMs.  O2 is my main providor, but I have problems with the network signal at my workplace so want to be able to interchange SIMs sometimes.

Anyway, As indicated in the subject, when I tried to insert another network's SIM, I got a message on the phone saying that the phone was locked.    I contacted Apple, they said O2 had locked my phone when I inserted their SIM. This seems outrageous.  I am not tied to any contract with O2, I've always used PAYG.  I have never obtained a phone from O2. So how has the phone been locked without my say-so?  Surely I shouldn't have to pay O2 to unlock MY phone?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

.According to the title the op bought from apple  

But then he's also spoken to Apple, and the advice he's received would suggest otherwise. 

Message 11 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@adamtemp64 wrote:

.According to the title the op bought from apple  

But then he's also spoken to Apple, and the advice he's received would suggest otherwise. 

Exactly. Surely it is where he bought the original phone from that is relevant here. He only said his replacement came from Apple?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it just seems odd that Apple wouldn't have just rectified the situation in the first instance. 

But unless the OP returns to this thread, we'll never know what the situation truly is. Smiley Indifferent

Message 13 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No point in guessing until we know more info......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Reading through this it would appear to be that the original phone was from O2 or CPW and locked to O2 when the sim was inserted. Apple replaced like for like.

Solution....get it unlocked by O2 

Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry,  I didn't realize I had so many replies until I just checked back!

Anyway, the original phone was not from O2, so nothing to do with them, so they have no business locking  it.   I spoke to Apple support online as I assumed it must be their mistake when replacing the phone- they told me O2 have a policy now of locking iphones when you insert their SIM so I should speak to them. 

Message 16 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
That is not true, O2 policy cannot override devices purchased from apple, but apple policy states that all phones bought from carphone warehouse will lock to the first sim inserted. It always has been the case and is nothing to do with O2 (except the follow up in unlocking the phone)
Message 17 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
So...
If the phone was purchased from CPW, then this is 100% normal and is not o2's fault.
If the phone was purchased from apple, they are lying to you as they don't want to swap it.
Message 18 of 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
So...
If the phone was purchased from CPW, then this is 100% normal and is not o2's fault.
If the phone was purchased from apple, they are lying to you as they don't want to swap it.

Spot on ^^^

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

OP still hasn't said who the original phone was purchased from, only saying that it wasn't from O2, so until they clarify that query we can only speculate.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 22