cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SIM (works on another phone) doesn't work in my iphone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here might be abhle to help me, since I went to 3 different O2 shops and nobody could help me (to be honest I didn't feel like anyone was willing to help me)

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on O2

I have a brand new iPhone 4 which is locked on O2.

My O2 SIM card works perfectly fine in my Galaxy Nexus.

My O2 SIM card (same one as above) does NOT work in my iPhone 4. I get "No Service" (so it does detect there is a SIM, since I don't get the "No SIM card Installed" message)

I have had my SIM card swapped already. Same result. The guy in the shop tried HIS SIM card, which he took out of a Blackberry Z10. This did NOT work. So of course they blame the phone.

HOWEVER: I took the O2 SIM card of a co-worker and this DID WORK. This came out of an iPhone.

This is the ONLY SIM card I managed to get working with this iPhone... I tried mine, the guy at the O2 shop, I swapped my SIM card, I borrowed a couple of other O2 SIM cards from friends and co-workers. None of them worked, except that one SIM card.... I tried other O2 SIM cards from iPhones, and none of them work....

So do you think it really is the phone that's faulty? Why would it work with that one SIM card?

Does anybody have ANY idea what is going on, or what I can do? I could go to the Apple store and see if they can replace it... but do you really think this will help?

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

To be honest I would head straight to the Apple store after making an appointment. It sounds as though there may be a bad connection in the phone and messing with sim cards could just have made the odd connection with your friends sim. Strange one though....

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

To be honest I would head straight to the Apple store after making an appointment. It sounds as though there may be a bad connection in the phone and messing with sim cards could just have made the odd connection with your friends sim. Strange one though....

Message 2 of 19

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like phone is barred to me.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I probably will have to... I would have gone earlier, except that I went on a monday, and the next available appointment was on Saturday... so at the time I thought forget it.

It's really weird that having tried multiple times, that one SIM works perfectly fine every time, but none others....

Anyway, if I don't get any other suggestions here I will have to go to APple I guess...

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Phone is not barred, I got it working with at least one O2 SIM card. But only that one works and no other O2 SIM cards. Did you read my post?
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the phone was barred would it not just reject all sim cards as the OP says his co-workers sim card registered fine in the phone.

I agree with making an appointment at your most local Apple Genius Barr to have the iphone looked at. 

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Phone is not barred, I got it working with at least one O2 SIM card. But only that one works and no other O2 SIM cards. Did you read my post?

Yes I did, I am literate!!

Quite often a SIM will register in a barred phone but will not be able to make calls, but as you are so sure I let you carry on......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get the iphone from eBay 

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I did, I am literate!!

Quite often a SIM will register in a barred phone but will not be able to make calls, but as you are so sure I let you carry on......

I wasn't aware that happened. 

This is bad as someone could use a sim in a barred phone and access the contents of the phone even if they can't make calls !!

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
This is bad as someone could use a sim in a barred phone and access the contents of the phone even if they can't make calls !!

The barr only prevents the phone from been used on the network. Wifi and all other phone functions (whatsapp, music player, internet) will still work.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 19