cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My O2 tariff

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if I could switch my current O2 contract onto a refresh contract without paying any upfront costs ? I've been with O2 for some time and I am happy with the network but need an upgrade but don't want to pay out the rest of my contact
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Unfortunately the only way to get refresh is to take a new contract.
Try calling CS on 202/and choose the thinking of leaving option and see if they will do you a special deal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well, you could sell your existing phone to offset the upgrade fee. But if your still in contract you can't upgrade for free. Out of interest, how longs left?
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Unfortunately the only way to get refresh is to take a new contract.
Try calling CS on 202/and choose the thinking of leaving option and see if they will do you a special deal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You can upgrade early. Have a look at this link which explains it

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/upgrading-your-pay-monthly-mobile

Whether you have to pay depends on whats left on your current contract and the new phone you choose. You can sign into my O2 and check out the cost for you to upgrade http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

If you need further advice specific to you then please ring cs on 202

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
OP said they didn't want to pay to upgrade - I can't think of any other way?

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Well I certainly wasn't going back to edit!!

I just gave more info. No doubt the op will find what they can do via MyO2 or by ringing CS

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I suppose you could get a free upgrade if you took a cheaper phone but you'd still have to speak to retentions to get a deal on the upgrade fee......?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Not knowing what is outstanding on the current contact.....or even what phone they want on Refresh it's a bit difficult to be sure? I know the section in MyO2 'entices' you to upgrade. I expect that would mean you have to pay current contract off so there would be a cost ...whether you upgraded or cancelled old contract and took out a new one...

The only way to know what's on offer is by speaking to CS...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, definitely the best option, but as you say, there will be a cost of some sort involved.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Hi there @Anonymous. When upgrading directly through O2 from a non-refresh contract to a refresh contract - O2 will give you your last month free (ie you will only have to settle between now and your second last bill). It used to be 25% off - I'm not sure if that's still on offer.

If you're looking for more than that to be waived, I don't think it's very likely. As others have mentioned you can certainly give the retentions team a call - usually they'll waive the upfront cost of a new tariff rather than pay off the old contract.

As others have said, you can also recycle your current handset to put against any upgrade charges.

Hope this helps

Message 10 of 16