Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data overseas

Ellie1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an iPhone 6 Plus for about 2 years and always been on O2 with travel plan.  I have never had a problem with connecting to mobile data services overseas until September last year which I received a message saying I wasn't subscribed to mobile data services (I was and am).  Looking through the O2 community messages there is a work around - which is to change the mobile APN setting from idata to mobile, and to switch off 4G.  This works but isn't satisfactory as 4G is much faster than 3G.  Is this something O2 know about and can provide a proper solution to?  I have spent sometime with Apple on this and they say it is probably O2 - they can't  try and replicate the problem until I am next overseas.  Anyone know anything about this problem?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144092 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Ellie1 the solution is to call O2 and ask them to privision iData on your account. You can then leave your data apn alone and it will work fine.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144092 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Ellie1 the solution is to call O2 and ask them to privision iData on your account. You can then leave your data apn alone and it will work fine.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Ellie1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi - thank you,  I had previously contacted O2 to no avail but they have now informed me that I need an iPhone bolt-on which was previously attached to my account but was not activated when the new contract kicked in.  Should be all sorted now, thanks.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144092 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Glad that's sorted.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@Ellie1 Be aware that getting a good 4G signal when you're overseas largely depends on where you are and which network you're connected to.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5