cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 4G after ios9 update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have an iPhone 5S and last night did the update to ios9.  All went ok, phone worked well on home wifi, thought no more of it.

Went out this morning and realised I had no cellular connectivity.  I could make calls, and send texts, but when I tried to go on Facebook, send/receive emails, go on Safari etc it said I had no connectivity

I thought , "Ah, I know how to rectify this" and texted ACTIVE to 2020 , and received an immediate message back saying "We have had problems with your request for settings, please call us on 4445" .  So I did this, and the lady said she'd done something their end, I should restart my phone and all would be fine.

I did this and yes, I now have connectivity.  But only 3G.  Not 4G.  I called again to be told they have been having problems with the mast in my area of late , and coverage will come and go.  Now, I've always had 4G in this area, it was working fine yesterday, and now it's not.  I don't believe it's the mast.  I think it's something to do with the ios update changing settings.

Any ideas of what I can do please?

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

done that, doesn't seem to do anything and also means you lose all your automatic wifi connections so I wouldn't advise this

Message 11 of 56

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Deleted by me...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 56

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

done that, doesn't seem to do anything and also means you lose all your automatic wifi connections so I wouldn't advise this

You won't lose them completely if you have cloud back up on. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Talktalk has done something, O2 should do as well.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/unable-access-internet-after-upgrading-ios9

Message 14 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same issue. Been onto O2 on chat but they have no answer. I assume it's a bug with iOS 9. I only got my Sim only pay monthly yesterday an hour before updating so i wasn't sure if it was the sim or the OS but i presume the latter if other people are having issues

Just to add my two penneth.

I'm on EE and I haven't lost 4G since updating to iOS 9. I did receive a carrier update immediately after updating to iOS 9, so whether O2 haven't released a new carrier update or there is a bug in the present version I'm unsure.

Message 15 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same issue. Been onto O2 on chat but they have no answer. I assume it's a bug with iOS 9. I only got my Sim only pay monthly yesterday an hour before updating so i wasn't sure if it was the sim or the OS but i presume the latter if other people are having issues

I'm on EE and I haven't lost 4G since updating to iOS 9. I did receive a carrier update immediately after updating to iOS 9, so whether O2 haven't released a new carrier update or there is a bug in the present version I'm unsure.

There must be a bug. Ive heard at least a few are experiencing this. Its Apple releasing an update riddled with bugs again. They never learn

Message 16 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There must be a bug. Ive heard at least a few are experiencing this. Its Apple releasing an update riddled with bugs again. They never learn

It's obviously not affecting all the networks, so that makes me think its more likely to be a bug in the carrier software (for the affected network) than a bug in iOS 9. All the networks have had the same length of time as each other of when iOS 9 was getting released to do testing and any necessary work etc.

Too be fair, all software platforms can have bugs. It's only when software gets released to the masses and with all the app combinations etc, that issues come to light.

Message 17 of 56

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

The problem is that these bugs don't affect everyone so releasing a general update needs to be fully compatible with all carriers. It takes time though some networks find a solution quicker than others. The bigger issue is whether this should be down to Apple or the carriers.....

Message 18 of 56

nkcx
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network

Mobile APN = mobile.o2.co.uk (was idata)

Visual Voicemail = mobile.o2.co.uk

MMS = WAP.o2.co.uk

u/n and password stay the same (vertigo/******)

Fixed it for me.

Message 19 of 56

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Hence my suggestion above to check apn - it looks like it auto defaults to iData settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 56