cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 4G after ios9 update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have an iPhone 5S and last night did the update to ios9.  All went ok, phone worked well on home wifi, thought no more of it.

Went out this morning and realised I had no cellular connectivity.  I could make calls, and send texts, but when I tried to go on Facebook, send/receive emails, go on Safari etc it said I had no connectivity

I thought , "Ah, I know how to rectify this" and texted ACTIVE to 2020 , and received an immediate message back saying "We have had problems with your request for settings, please call us on 4445" .  So I did this, and the lady said she'd done something their end, I should restart my phone and all would be fine.

I did this and yes, I now have connectivity.  But only 3G.  Not 4G.  I called again to be told they have been having problems with the mast in my area of late , and coverage will come and go.  Now, I've always had 4G in this area, it was working fine yesterday, and now it's not.  I don't believe it's the mast.  I think it's something to do with the ios update changing settings.

Any ideas of what I can do please?

Message 1 of 56
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all, sorry it took a few days but we've been getting things looked into.

With regards to any strange or odd bugs that may be present within iOS itself, that's not really something we can fix other than feeding it back. Based on the issues and info we've seen this doesn't appear to be an issue within our carrier file either.

So there's a few things from me on this subject:

1) We have received and approved of a small iOS9 update which we expect to push out from this evening. Via OTA update this should be a small update and it should improve any issues with private VPN service. If this is what has been causing you issues, this may help resolve it

2) If the issue is specifically 4G data (switching 4G off and enabling 3G = everything works fine) then please let us know and we can look at this more closely.

3) If the issue is a total loss of mobile data (nothing on 2G/3G/4G) then this is more than likely down to one of a couple of things:

a) You're using a standard smartphone tariff or data bolt-on and your APN settings aren't 'mobile.o2.co.uk'

b) You're on the correct tariff/data bolt-on and using the correct APN, but your account isn't provisioned correctly

c) It could be coincidental and you've exhausted your mobile data allowance around the same time as your iOS update, or the mast/local network in your area is experiencing some issues (check your postcode here > http://status.o2.co.uk/)

If you have updated to iOS9 and getting no mobile data or no signal at all, I'd suggest the following:
- Backup anything important and do a full factory reset. If that works, restore your backup/data and you're golden!
- Test your SIM in another handset and/or in another location. If data works in the other phone then you know it's an issue with your device (whether hardware/software...). If data works in your phone in another location then your phone, SIM and account is fine - the issue is network/mast related
- If still not getting anywhere, get in touch with us via our many contact methods so one of our Guru's can check your account for any issues and to check the provisioning side of things too: http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 42 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Have a look at this help link

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-everyone/m-p/593752#M59833

And check your own network status here http://status.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here ... updated my wifes phone and she's experiencing the same thing.

I'll need to have a look at the phone later .. but tried ACTIVE to 2020 to no avail

Add

Message 3 of 56

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Lots of reports so looks like a bug in carrier settings maybe?
Others should hold off updating until the issue is understood.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, but I really don't think it's a network-being-down problem , the fact that there was no connectivity this morning , then I rang O2 and she changed the settings and I've now got 3G but not 4G (and my iPad is unaffected, I've not updated it to ios9 yet) , makes me certain that it's some phone setting that the update has changed.

When my daughter comes in from school I'll check with her 5C to see if that's affected as well.
Message 5 of 56

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you, but I really don't think it's a network-being-down problem , the fact that there was no connectivity this morning , then I rang O2 and she changed the settings and I've now got 3G but not 4G (and my iPad is unaffected, I've not updated it to ios9 yet) , makes me certain that it's some phone setting that the update has changed.

When my daughter comes in from school I'll check with her 5C to see if that's affected as well.

Agree...it certainly looks as if it's some (as yet) unfixed bug. As @MI5 has suggested, folk should really hold off from downloading as yet

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your iPad probably isn't affected as I am assuming you just have the wifi only version. Do you actually have 4G in your area

Message 7 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. Been onto O2 on chat but they have no answer. I assume it's a bug with iOS 9. I only got my Sim only pay monthly yesterday an hour before updating so i wasn't sure if it was the sim or the OS but i presume the latter if other people are having issues

Message 8 of 56

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It looks as if  these issues should be conveyed to Apple in the hope they can put out a fix?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 56

MI5
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Check and reset your network settings first (apn)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 56