cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently upgraded my iPhone 6 plus tariff from 3GB data on 4G to 6GB on 4G. I received a new sim which I installed as per instructions only to find that I can no longer receive 4G. I queried this with my local O2 shop, who tried various options and eventually told me they could not help and I should go to Apple, even though their diagnostic test found no fault with my phone. I asked if they would reverse the upgrade and they said no. So I am now paying an increased amount for a slower service (i.e. 3G not 4G). This treatment can't be right, surely? Do I really have to return my fault-free phone to Apple? Help!

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you say that about Sim only tarrifs and no 4G. I recieved my new sim only sim card with 6GB data yesterday and even though the coverage checker shows good indoor 4G signal here I could only get 3G on my iphone 5s. I checked the APN settings were correct and that 4G was ticked in the data settings but no 4G.

Anyway looking at my account online it was set up with the blackberry 6GB bolt on and not the iphone one (aparently it defaults to this), so a nice lady on webchat offered to switch it over from midnight. After midnight I checked and still no 4G and it was still showing the blackberry bolt on in my o2, however thois morning 4G works and its changed to the iphone bolt on in my o2. So it seems that even if your using the correct idata APN it wont work on 4G unless you have the correct bolt on for iphone on your account, but 3G data will work.
Just sharing my experience in case it helps anyone.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

hmm, was it just the plan you upgraded. Not sure why you needed a new sim. Have you tried the sim in another phone. Make sure they still have idata on your account.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Check your network status here http://status.o2.co.uk/

Remember to get a 4G signal you need a 4G phone a 4G sim and a 4G tariff.... and it to be activated on your account...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I guess this is a simo tariff?
We have had a number of similar issues where 4g isn't enabled on the account so I suggest you call 202 and ask cs to check for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Very confusing. All the OP was doing was increasing the amount of data. Why would CS send out a new sim and advise him to use that one? Makes no sense.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 22

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Don't know Maybe a change of phone occurred at the same time?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
To the OP. In mobile data is there a tick next to 4G?

Settings>Mobile Data>4G
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you say that about Sim only tarrifs and no 4G. I recieved my new sim only sim card with 6GB data yesterday and even though the coverage checker shows good indoor 4G signal here I could only get 3G on my iphone 5s. I checked the APN settings were correct and that 4G was ticked in the data settings but no 4G.

Anyway looking at my account online it was set up with the blackberry 6GB bolt on and not the iphone one (aparently it defaults to this), so a nice lady on webchat offered to switch it over from midnight. After midnight I checked and still no 4G and it was still showing the blackberry bolt on in my o2, however thois morning 4G works and its changed to the iphone bolt on in my o2. So it seems that even if your using the correct idata APN it wont work on 4G unless you have the correct bolt on for iphone on your account, but 3G data will work.
Just sharing my experience in case it helps anyone.

Cheers

Message 8 of 22

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers

So it seems that even if your using the correct idata APN it wont work on 4G unless you have the correct bolt on for iphone on your account, but 3G data will work.

100% correct and thanks for letting us know.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 22

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I'm not sure that the default is a Blackberry bolt on, much more likely an error by whoever does the upgrade. I had no such problems when upgrading my sim only tariff.

Message 10 of 22