Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

Long delay without ringing tone when calling my iPhone

I have an intermittent problem. When calling my iPhone from a range of landlines I do not get the usual ringing tone in the landline handset..it can take sometimes 40-60 seconds of silence before it goes to voicemail or eventaully rings at the iphone. Sometimes it lasts for over a minute and I give up (as do many of the people call me. It does not exhibit this issue if I call the iPhone from another mobile on another network.

This is not consistent...I can call from the same landline 5 consequtive times and 4 of them will take >40 seconds to go to voicemail, or ring, and the other one will go through within 10 seconds.

I have tested this on a range of landline numbers in different geopgraphic locations, and by different telephone providers. I have done a iPhone network reset. It does not cure it - although basic fault troubleshooting points not to a handset problem but to it being an O2 network issue as it occurs from different landlines, and the common factor is the routing of the call to voicemail.

Help!?
Anonymous

Re: Long delay without ringing tone when calling my iPhone

I have an intermittent problem. When calling my iPhone from a range of landlines I do not get the usual ringing tone in the landline handset..it can take sometimes 40-60 seconds of silence before it goes to voicemail or eventaully rings at the iphone. Sometimes it lasts for over a minute and I give up (as do many of the people call me. It does not exhibit this issue if I call the iPhone from another mobile on another network.
This is not consistent...I can call from the same landline 5 consequtive times and 4 of them will take >40 seconds to go to voicemail, or ring, and the other one will go through within 10 seconds.
I have tested this on a range of landline numbers in different geopgraphic locations, and by different telephone providers. I have done a iPhone network reset. It does not cure it - although basic fault troubleshooting points not to a handset problem but to it being an O2 network issue as it occurs from different landlines, and the common factor is the routing of the call to voicemail.
Help!?

i am facing this prob as well for last couple of days never happened before..

I think its the network issue.
Anonymous

Hi Kanjar,

I am so glad you posted...I thought it was just me!

I have to say I have been very unimpressed by Tech Support at O2.
I know how to fault find and have done my best to provide logical progress of the fault -eliminating the variables and narrowing down the source of the issue. Clearly this a network issue..it is the only common part of the route that the calls make. I switched off voicemail and the issue continues. I also get clicks every 20 seconds during the silence of the delay.

O2 says that as it is an incoming call then it is nothing to do with them - this is both stupid and incorrect. Are they saying the call is never routed over the O2 network? They say it is an issue with my landline provider - and I said to the O2 rep. "so the fact that the same issue occurs with a range of different landline callers to my mobile means that all those Phone networks have the same faults?" - "it could be" was the answer from O2.

It was then that i gave up thinking I'd get help from O2. I am very unimpressed that they could not say whether this was even a known issue.

Now you have stated that you too have the issue then it is more evidence that it is their problem. Unfortunately because it is intermittent, and only experienced by 3rd parties that are calling our iPhones it is very difficult to log and prove.

Kanjar,

Mine has been doing it since at least Thursday 16/10 (and maybe before..who knows).
What are your symptoms, and how long for, and have you reported it to O2? Does yours work OK with mobiles calling your iPhone?

Does nayone lese have this issue? maybe you should try calling your own phone! I only found out when people said they gave up calling because it was always a deadline.
Anonymous

Surely if it was a network fault it would affect everybody ? :robotindifferent:
Anonymous

Perhaps more people are getting missed calls... but people don't tell you they have not been able to get a call to you.... It took a couple of days before I was told. The network is a complex thing... and I am sure there are many things that cause calls to hang ...the voicemail routing, the checking of strength of the receiving handset and therefore appropriate routing to voicemail or the phone. What I find intersting is that it appears that it affects only land lines...maybe its a call origina identifyer that causes the hang? My iPhone has a ported number (from Orange) maybe this is a factor and the look-up table is corrupted? Who knows, but O2 certainly don't give a fig.
Anonymous

I've had this problem before - definitely a network issue - unfortunately as an intermittent fault it's extremely difficult to diagnose for O2 Smiley Sad
Anonymous

I've had this problem before - definitely a network issue - unfortunately as an intermittent fault it's extremely difficult to diagnose for O2 Smiley Sad

Hi rossmck,

How was your problem cured? Is your number a "ported number"? and were you often in poor reception areas wen it caused a problem with dead lines?
Anonymous

Cured? - Nope it still happens Smiley Sad
Ported? - Yes from T-Mobile
Poor Reception? - No major cities with good coverage...

I've just always put it down to O2, happens with others i know on O2 as well...
Anonymous

Bet the problem is ported numbers. They have to go to the original network first and then on to O2 - Plenty of space for hicups in the system
Anonymous

Yes, I have a feeling it is something to do with ported numbers. When I ported I asked O2 specifically - will a proted number go thru the Orange newtwork and is there a downside to porting..he said No. The conclusion I have come to is that the majority of O2 reps have no idea about the business and make rash statements without any foundation. Not confidence inspiring at all.