cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked iPhone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought my iPhone 6S from PC World in June, and the sales assistant told me I can put any SIM card in if I want, and I put my Giffgaff card in it. However, Your company locked my iPhone. When this summer holiday, I came back to China, and I found that I could not put any SIM card in my iPhone, and then I knew that my iPhone was locked by your company. This device is not the contract phone, and it should not be locked by you. And now I am going to come back China for X-mas holiday. And I want you to unlock my phone.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately this is Apple policy and has nothing to do with networks.
You correctly assume o2 need to unlock it now and the ways to do it are listed here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous  This is a customer to customer forum. This is not customer service, and this is not GiffGaff. Although GiffGaff uses the O2 network it is a seperate company. You need to contact them, not O2.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/tkb/communitypage

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your help.
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately this is Apple policy and has nothing to do with networks.
You correctly assume o2 need to unlock it now and the ways to do it are listed here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I'm a bit confused @MI5, and I didn't intend to give the OP the wrong information, but is the OP's phone considered to be an O2 phone even though they're using a GiffGaff sim? Can they now just put an O2 Pay & Go sim in and unlock the phone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes to both questions.
Giffgaff can neither lock nor unlock phones, it's all down to o2.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Okay. My bad then. @Anonymous, please follow the link provided by @MI5 above to get your phone unlocked.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Will have to wait until back in the UK though to use the phone with an O2 PAYG sim and register the handset on the network.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If I understood the OP's first post, I think they're in the UK now but planning to go back to China for Christmas. If that's correct they should be able to get the phone unlocked now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, if they are in the UK now an O2 PAYG sim on the classic PAYG tariff and a £20 top up will be required.
Use £5 for calls to register phone on system leaving £15 for the unlocking fee.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10