cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? Keeping Old iPhone.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I'm using the iPhone 5 and I'm due for an upgrade very soon and I shall be upgrading to the iPhone 6. When I've got the 6, I'm not sure whether to sell the iPhone 5 or keep it? The only reason I am thinking of keeping the 5, is just in case something goes wrong with the 6 when I've got it, and then I've got a backup iPhone!

I have O2 premier insurance with the 5 and will still want the insurance for the 6. I shall also be getting the 6 from my local O2 store.

My nature for this post is, I wondered what other users of iPhones do when they upgrade to the latest version? Do they sell or give away their old iPhone or keep it!

Any advice will be appreciated!

Liam.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sell mine back to apple to help fund my next iPhone purchase. This can be done in an Apple Store.

You could unlock the iPhone 5 to all networks to increase its street value or to let someone use it in another network.

Http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network
Message 2 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147145 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28295 Solutions
I always keep one phone as a backup at least but many have to sell to fund the new purchase.
Do what suits you as everyone is different......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 23

jonsie
  • 93339 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

If money isn't an issue then keep it. A back up is always good to have...

Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice choice of phone by the way. 😄

May I ask What drew you to it ?
Message 5 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 124315 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Personally I couldn't see myself without a back up phone. This is purely because I travel abroad a lot nd always take both with me 'just in case' Fear

As said though.... it really is down to the individual slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like @Cleoriff I always keep a spare handset "just in case". You never know if you might drop one, lose one or if I travel abroad I tend to take a very basic one.
Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just done the same last week and will probably keep the 5 as a spare?
What made things even easier was I backed up 5 before I powered up 6, and restored from backup instead of setting up as new phone.
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi bandofbrothers,

To be honest I wanted to stay with Apple. Also most contracts are 24 months, so to me It's pointless upgrading from a 5 to a 5c or 5s. So the 6 makes a sensible choice. I won't be going for the 6 plus though!

Liam.
Message 9 of 23

jonsie
  • 93339 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

At least you can take advantage of 4G with the iphone 6 if your area has been upgraded. Enjoy slight_smile

Message 10 of 23