cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone connection problems to free WiFi

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an iPhone 3G on an iPhone o2 contract. At home my iPhone picks up my Wifi instantly and works fine.

I've registered with BT Openzone and Cloud and this now detects and picks up their free Wifi when I am out and about. However, even though I have full connection I can never get the wifi to work. When I try and use Facebook, Foursquare, Safari or Google I always get a 'cannot connect' error when on Openzone. If I switch to 3G the apps work fine.

I have also tried to use free wifi in Murcia and at Jersey airport this summer. Despite being at the hotspot location with full signal I again cannot use it. I get the same error message. Clearly when abroad the charges for data are expensive so it's annoying that my iPhone will not pick up free wifi.

I know the wifi works as at home it is fine. Is there a reason why it picks up wifi connection but will not let me use it? I've tried searching the web and cannot find a solution.

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not all openzone is free - there are several types. Same question was asked a couple of days back and I can only suggest you search this place to find out the different sorts.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's fine, but this hasn't answered my question as to why my iPhone will not pick up any Wifi anywhere. The openzone I have had has connected with no problems (according to the icon on the top left). I just cannot get any apps to work.

I don't think the issue is openzone isn't free, as the Wifi in Murcia city centre was as was the Wifi in Jersey airport.

I'm in Italy in 2 weeks and would like to know if there are some settings I need to change so I can make use of Wifi there rather than the £3 a meg o2 charge.
Message 3 of 6

GeorgeStark
Level 3: Thinker
  • 71 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Just because you get the WiFi symbol in the top left hand corner doesn't mean you can use the connection, especially with things like BT OpenZone and The Cloud; all it means is that your iPhone has been able to physically connect to the WiFi hotspot. I always make sure I can see a web pag via Safari (Google, for example) after connecting to a new 'free' WiFi hotspot, as sometimes you'll see the hotspot's 'login' page which means (in the case of BTOZ or The Cloud) that it's connected but hasn't recognised your iPhone as being allowed to use it for free.

Try texting the word RESET to 2121 (if you're on O2, which I assume you are) and it will reset any cached details of your handset with the BTOZ and The Cloud hotspots...sometimes takes an hour or so to complete. I've had to do this after restoring my old iPhone 3G, with my new iPhone 4 and also with my wife's new iPhone 4 before they would connect properly to BTOZ and The Cloud. Hope that helps a bit.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. I've had some wifi pop up and then ask me to log in and pay, but the Murcia and Jersey wifi was free and it was annoying not being able to use it. Hopefully this will work and I can use some free wifi in Italy!
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not all openzone is free - there are several types.

Why do BT call them the same thing then? It's either stupidity or a crafty ploy to trick the unwary (or desperate) into paying for a service which they're entitled to as part of their contract. I'd rather all companies were fair and upfront about the service they provide - there seems to be a general trend to deliberately obfuscate and over-complicate pricing structures to snag a few extra $s or £s from people.
Message 6 of 6