cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone - Cannot Get E-mail

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone else had problems with O2 E-mail on the iphone. There are 2 of us both getting the error "cannot Get Mail the user name or password for xxxxx is incorrect"..however we can both log onto the site OK...Any suggestions gratefully received or is this just an O2 Mail blip!!!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would love to hear if this issue gets resolved. A friend on Sky broadband can't understand why my iPhone & two Macs can't go in and out of fetching e-mail fairly simultaneously without crashing the mailbox - she has no problem at all with hers. I too don't have any problem with gmail or another pop3 account. The only answer for me is to make sure I only have one device accessing my o2 mailbox at any one time, which is a bit of a pain to remember.

My iPhone authentication keeps changing itself to md5 response/challenge which also causes problems with retrieval (I've tried deleting and creating a new account but it makes no difference.) I suspect it happens after I try to access mailbox when one of the Macs is also doing so, but haven't confirmed that.

I've also had no joy from o2 support - I think they just don't really understand what my problem is - and no luck with Apple Supprt re the authentication resetting - though I'm sure I've seen it raised on Apple discussion boards before...
Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is the incoming server on your o2 account mail.o2.co.uk or pop.o2.co.uk?

Both will work, but...

I believe the correct auth setting for mail.o2.co.uk is Password.
I believe the correct auth setting for pop.o2.co.uk is MDF Challenge-Resonse.

Just a theory, but if you have it the other way around it may be causing the problem.

Also, did you sync your email settngs from a computer or enter them directly into the iPhone?
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi greenblink

thanks for your reply.

It's Mail on both my iPhone and MacBook.

I've tried both syncing with computer & entering the settings manually - and neither seems to make a difference re stopping the iPhone changing away from Password. It's such a weird bug in the system - and seems so difficult to get rid of.
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi greenblink
thanks for your reply.
It's Mail on both my iPhone and MacBook.
I've tried both syncing with computer & entering the settings manually - and neither seems to make a difference re stopping the iPhone changing away from Password. It's such a weird bug in the system - and seems so difficult to get rid of.

So have you tried using pop.o2.co.uk with MDF Challenge-Resonse?
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
No I haven't - I just assumed the o2 settings required me to use the Password authentication. I will try out the pop3 way, and let you know how I get on. Thanks!
Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I also suggest removing the option in iTunes to sync your email settings? I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Good luck.
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - well the pop3 way means I go in and out of my e-mail on the iphone with no problems - but I don't get the nice little preview pane & it still locks out the AppleMail client on my MacBook... So I guess I have to choose which I find less irritating - but shouldn't o2 do something to their servers or settings or whatever to allow them to function like other ISPs? (Although I did also find the same problem with Demon, who I was with before - and o2 Broadand is just so much better in other respects than Demon was)
Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - well the pop3 way means I go in and out of my e-mail on the iphone with no problems - but I don't get the nice little preview pane & it still locks out the AppleMail client on my MacBook...

Not sure what your mean by 'preview pane' not working. Do you mean in Settings > Mail, Contacts Calendars > Preview? Mine is set to 2 lines and works fine.

You won't be able to have Mac and the iPhone checking your O2 mail at the same time. Thats just how it works. If you really need that then you're better off with an IMAP account from Google or Yahoo.
Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah well that answers it. And infact now that I think about it, my friend with the Sky ISP uses it for gmail anyway - so that would explain how she goes in and out with no problems.

I changed my preview pane setting & restarted my iPhone and now it works fine again.

And I have made sure the mail syncing is turned off on the Mac.

So thanks greenblink! Much happier now.
Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a problem with e-mail on iPhone4s.this phone had a PAYG sim added new on 13/9/2015,and ver since I have the error message "Cannot get Mail.The connection to the server failed" what can I do?

Message 20 of 22