cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone - Cannot Get E-mail

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone else had problems with O2 E-mail on the iphone. There are 2 of us both getting the error "cannot Get Mail the user name or password for xxxxx is incorrect"..however we can both log onto the site OK...Any suggestions gratefully received or is this just an O2 Mail blip!!!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
The most common error is that people try to log in with just "USERNAME" rather than the full address "USERNAME@o2.co.uk"
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Definately set up on iphone with the full address. This was working fine up until yesterday when it started to come up with the error message, this does appear to be intermittant and will work sometimes and not others....
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had this with my BTinternet account last Friday (2nd January). It was receiving emails fine and then suddenly it stopped and I was receiving the same message you are getting. It was showing that the latest update was at 11.04. Later in the day I attached my phone to iTunes and it seemed to resolve the problem and it said my email had updated at 18.46. However when I removed it and checked again the next day it was saying updated 02/01/2009 11.04 again and I was receiving the error message again.

I then looked at Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > (account) > Advanced > Authentication. This showed MD5 Challenge-Response was ticked. I changed the tick to Password and it worked OK.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent - Thanks HappyUser

I have just checked my settings and it had the same option ticked. I have now changed it and will see how it goes...Will pass this info onto my friend as well....

grin
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well....what can I say...All was going well and this works absolutley fine, however these settings appear to default back for no reason, hence the problem reoccurs and we have had to do it all again...

Any suggestions anyone????
Message 6 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Well....what can I say...All was going well and this works absolutley fine, however these settings appear to default back for no reason, hence the problem reoccurs and we have had to do it all again...

Any suggestions anyone????

Some people have said to delete account sync with itunes then set the account up from scratch then sync again should save your new settings.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been seeing exactly the same issue!

BUT I ONLY get it with my O2 POP3 account, both my gmail IMAP account and another POP3 account I have work fine... here's a question and a theory - do you regularly swap between WiFi and 3G/EDGE/GPRS data?

I have a suspicion that the iPhone does not correctly close the POP3 connection whenever it checks for mail... re-checking on the same connection (e.g. always on wi-fi or always over the phone network) this doesn't cause a problem as the phone re-uses the open connection, but if you swap between the 2 networks you end up with a "hanging" connection that blocks access. The error message about incorrect password is Generic and NOT the actual message the iPhone sees.

It should be possible to simultaneously access your POP3 account from 2 clients with a decent POP3 server, but O2's mail server seems to be set up incorrectly or is old and in need of an upgrade. To prove this, open a couple of command prompts on your home PC and telnet direct to the server as follows (type the bold stuff):

telnet mail.o2.co.uk 110
Connected to mail.o2.co.uk
Escape character is '^]'
+OK POP3 server ready

Now log in with your credentials... type:
USER myusername@o2.co.uk
PASS mypassword

+OK 99 messages

You should get a brief login message as above. Now, without closing down this connection, go into your other command prompt and do exactly the same thing again. Instead of getting the login message you will see

-ERR mailbox locked by other server

Now, I *THINK* that is what the iPhone is seeing - it's inadvertently left a connection "hanging" and blocks itself so it can't log in again. After a few minutes the "hung" connection times out and gets dropped so freeing up the mail server for another mail check. Hence the error message is intermittent.

When I first got the iPhone and shifted my mail to O2, my desktop PC and my phone were both accessing the same O2 mailbox, this caused me no end of problems (not to mention the O2 webmail interface ALSO shares the same connection problem and locks the POP3 server!!) so I set up an additional mailbox just for the phone, it made things a lot better but still not perfect when going in and out of wifi range.

I've tried to raise this with O2 customer service but they wanted me to give them my mail account username & password - I tried explaining this happens on any account (and I've created ones just to prove it) but can't convince them to look into it further.

I hope this helps out - if anyone can back up what I'm saying here, or give me an alternative I'd be very interested to hear it as after 3 months random incorrect username / password messages get a bit tiresome.
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
BUT I ONLY get it with my O2 POP3 account, both my gmail IMAP account and another POP3 account I have work fine... here's a question and a theory - do you regularly swap between WiFi and 3G/EDGE/GPRS data?

I have the same problem with my Freeserve account but it works fine with another POP3 account. It also works fine on both with Wi-Fi.....
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem with my Freeserve account but it works fine with another POP3 account. It also works fine on both with Wi-Fi.....

Hmmm, if you've got one that works fine and one that doesn't work, could you try the steps above to see if the account that's working fine will allow you to access it simultaneously from 2 sessions please?

It would help verify the theory that it's to do with the server not allowing multiple connections, and that the iPhone is "hanging" the connection. I've only been able to prove it with my own accounts so far and would be interested in a 2nd opinion.

Cheers!
Message 10 of 22