cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 6 upgraded. kept old number - what next

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't connect to online chat so thought i would ask in here. Just received my Iphone 6 today. I'm upgrading from my Ipone 4s and keeping same number. I put SIM in , charged phone and i am now updating. Is there anything else I need to do to get it connected with my new number - like register or something. At the moment is says No Service. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

As your going from one sized SIM card to another you either need to have your current sim cut down or perform the sim swap.

It takes from a few minutes to approximately 24 hours to settle for a sim swap.

Turn airplane mode on and off to help the re connection.

The service will stop on your original SIM card first.

Also any O2 shop can perform the sim swap for you too.

Nice choice of phone. slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just about to ask exactly the same question!  I can't find anything anywhere that tells me if I have to do anything or not.

Message 2 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Do a sim swap to get the new one up and running http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

As your going from one sized SIM card to another you either need to have your current sim cut down or perform the sim swap.

It takes from a few minutes to approximately 24 hours to settle for a sim swap.

Turn airplane mode on and off to help the re connection.

The service will stop on your original SIM card first.

Also any O2 shop can perform the sim swap for you too.

Nice choice of phone. slight_smile
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - just about to do this. trying to back up my contacts somewhere. lol. I assume i will need to text from my old mobile that still has the number , they are asking me to text my number so they can send me a code and i need a number off the back of new sim

Message 5 of 20

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Back up to the cloud or itunes first and you will need to get the text on your old sim in the 4s.

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. working on this as we speak. One other problem. I ordered a pay monthly sim for my old Iphone 4s as i am giving it to my daughter but they sent me a tiny sim that is too small for my iphone 4s. I have tried live chat but it is off. Would an O2 shop sort this ? Or do i need to Live chat to ask for replacement?

Message 7 of 20

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Just pop into the O2 store and they will supply the right sized sim for you and transfer your daughters number.

Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
O2 only have nano sims now - You need to use an adapter which they should have sent with it but an O2 shop can provide for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I send my number, received code on old iphone 4s and i entered the code on website. what happens next ?  Sorry for all questions

Message 10 of 20