cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5s transfer contacts

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a complete nightmare. My new iphone 5s was delivered yesterday and wanted to transfer my contacts from my old iphone 4s. When i try and do it through icloud it says that the ios system is not compatible with the new phone and when i try and do it through itunes it states that my version of itunes isnt the latest version - which it definitely is and have updated it twice last night.....help!! I am really dissappointed why does it have to be this hard? Plus there is nobody to phone to answer my question 😞

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Back everything up to either iTunes, or iCloud, then set up the new iPhone using the came iTunes account.

Your phones version of iOS MUST MATCH. If your iPhone 4s is on 8.3 for example and your iPhone 5 is on 9.0 then you will need to upgrade your iPhone 4s to iOS 9 to be able to use that backup.

Otherwise set up as a new iPhone using your iTunes credentials and things like contacts will be copied anyway, it will just be messages, etc that won't copy.

If you have things like images, music and video that are all present on your iTunes PC/MAC then you can re-sync them anyway

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
What iOS versions are on both phones and you also have to make a back up again after updating the 4s to the latest version.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I think you have to back up everything on your old device first. I have just looked on the Apple forums for this advice....

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201269

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Back everything up to either iTunes, or iCloud, then set up the new iPhone using the came iTunes account.

Your phones version of iOS MUST MATCH. If your iPhone 4s is on 8.3 for example and your iPhone 5 is on 9.0 then you will need to upgrade your iPhone 4s to iOS 9 to be able to use that backup.

Otherwise set up as a new iPhone using your iTunes credentials and things like contacts will be copied anyway, it will just be messages, etc that won't copy.

If you have things like images, music and video that are all present on your iTunes PC/MAC then you can re-sync them anyway
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey @Anonymous how are you getting on with this? Have you been able to transfer your contacts or are you still unsure about how to proceed. Let us know! slight_smile
Message 5 of 5