cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5 3G not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, i've had it over a year and the software is up to date.  The 3G has just suddenly stopped working about 3 days ago and I'm at my wit's end.  Its fine on wifi.  I've tried everything I can see online.

I've restored it to factory settings, no joy.  I've switched off 3G to see if the basic mobile internet works.  It doesn't. I've gone to settings > carrier and switched it from automatic to selecting 02-Uk and that didn't work.  I've gone to 'Cellular data network', made sure the settings are as they should be according to other sources.  I've reset those settings and that hasn't worked.

And people around me also on O2 don't have any issues with it so its not a service thing.

Can anyone help me?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ensure airplane mode is not turned on.

Hold the Top Button and Home Button until the Apple Logo appears, and then let go of both. Your iPhone will reset.

Check your apn settings.

Text ACTIVE to 2020. . Save the settings and re boot.

Apns are here too. http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings

Try settings , general , reset , reset network settings.

Check your service status and clean Your sim.

http://status.o2.co.uk

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/54...

You Could make a genius bar appointment at your most local apple store to have it checked.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to add ensure you have data left in your allowance.

Contact O2 Cs on 202 contract or 4445 payg to have your account checked over.
Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Is 3g still showing on the status bar?
Contract or pay phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

bandofbrothers - I've tried all of the above.

MI5 Its a contract and yeah the 3G icon shows on the phone, usually with a healthy amount of bars.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if you've gone through all the generic solutions then I would try your SIM card in another phone. SIM card adapters are free from O2 shops. This would make your nano sim into a micro sim for example. Process of elimination.

The last suggestion I made was a Genius Bar Appointment. Have you managed to arrange one.
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
What did CS say when you called them?
You do definitely still have data left this month and not used it all up too ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I was going to book a genius but then I happened to notice on my online account it said all my data had been used up.  I was pretty surprised as this has almost never happened, and not with so long of my billing period left. I checked my texts from O2 and there was none of the "You've used 80% of your data this month" texts from them for this billing period.  

However I then purchased another 100MB bolt on for £3, my 3G started working so all I did was check a few emails.  Then I get a text saying I've used up 80% of my data allowance.  I don't know if it means 80% of the 100MB already (within 3 mins of purchase?) or it somehow refers to my original data allowance.  Like I said I certainly received no texts this billing period from them prior to today.  

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 93988 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
It is quite common with iPhones as they consume a lot of data, for various reasons...
There are some similar threads on the forum with some tips to help save mobile data - Do a quick search and you will find many.
Message 10 of 11