cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not working abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in O2 Travel & always use internet abroad. Since arriving in Slovakia yesterday the internet hasn't worked at all even though it says 3g at the top of my phone. I am using the o2 SK network. Every time I try to select another network it says "no service". I have reset the networks, switched my phone off & on, switched on data roaming & selected 2g, 3g, 4g. Nothing works. This is frustating because I have to leave my hotel for an event soon & last night I got cut off from the chat with 3 different agents without it being resolved.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Borage wrote:

How can I text ACTIVE to 2020 when my O2 SIM will not give me any service here in Hungary

Have you tried selecting another network manually?

Try cleaning the sim card and rebooting the phone.

Message 11 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@BorageCheck your internet settings here. Your APN may be wrong for use of an iphone abroad. It also depends whether you are on contract or PAYG.

https://www.teamknowhow.com/discover/discover/o2-apn-settings

If it's idata, you may have to change it to mobile.o2.co.uk (then it will need changing back when you return to the UK)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 17

samdtd
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have the same problem
Message 13 of 17

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@samdtd wrote:
I have the same problem

If you have an iPhone, change your apn to "mobile.o2.co.uk" 

If any other phone, text the word "ACTIVE" to 2020 or manually input the data settings https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Serv...

If still no good, try a manual network selection and choose a different network.

Finally, contact customer services to get your account checked for any internayional bars http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 17

Speedology
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Many thanks for the advice. I have payg and changing the APN on my iPhone did the trick. Will I need to change it back to idata on returning to the UK?
Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Speedology 

Yes you will wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

When you come back call customer service and ask them to put you on the correct bolt on @Speedology 

Message 17 of 17