cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not working abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in O2 Travel & always use internet abroad. Since arriving in Slovakia yesterday the internet hasn't worked at all even though it says 3g at the top of my phone. I am using the o2 SK network. Every time I try to select another network it says "no service". I have reset the networks, switched my phone off & on, switched on data roaming & selected 2g, 3g, 4g. Nothing works. This is frustating because I have to leave my hotel for an event soon & last night I got cut off from the chat with 3 different agents without it being resolved.
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update: for anyone with the same problem, I fixed it by texting "ACTIVE" to 2020.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Contact or PAYG?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Do calls work?
If so you can call customer service for free on contract
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update: for anyone with the same problem, I fixed it by texting "ACTIVE" to 2020.
Message 4 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Obviously your internet/data settings were wrong then if its working now @Anonymous

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes but it's strange because I am abroad several times a year & never have a problem so I don't know how the settings could change. I wanted to leave the post here in case anyone else has this problem.
Message 6 of 17

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 17

noviceaus
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You may need to check which Access Point you are connected to.

In Rome I found I had connected to the O2 Mobile Web and since I had a Pay As You Go SIM I changed the Access Point to O2 Pay & Go and it is now connected to data OK and I am able to access the Internet OK.

Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@noviceaus wrote:

You may need to check which Access Point you are connected to.

In Rome I found I had connected to the O2 Mobile Web and since I had a Pay As You Go SIM I changed the Access Point to O2 Pay & Go and it is now connected to data OK and I am able to access the Internet OK.

All in here @noviceaus. Problem is with iPhones.

Some work abroad just as they would in the UK, others need APN settings changed.

Never an issue with any other network iPhone. Just O2...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

Borage
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How can I text ACTIVE to 2020 when my O2 SIM will not give me any service here in Hungary

Message 10 of 17