Did you mean: 

Intermittently not receiving calls / texts

Melchett
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have been with O2 for years, so this isn't a sim swap issue.  I changed from an iPhone 6S to an XR at the start of the year and have been having intermittent problems of not getting calls and texts when the phone is at rest i.e sitting on the desk doing nothing.

Over the summer I would often find when I picked the phone up I would suddenly get several text messages all at once, same for WhatsApp messages.  It was almost like it was storing them up when the phone was locked and then delivering them all at the same time when it was unlocked.  I know the Do Not Disturb feature has this as an option, but I never have DND turned on.

This has been happening intermittently all summer at various locations where I've been working so it's not tied to poor reception in one area.

Then last week I started missing calls.  I would get a message saying I had missed a call from a number even though the phone didn't ring. When I called the number to check I was told it had gone straight to voicemail.

I've spoken to Apple who ran diagnostics on the phone and said nothing wrong with the phone, check your service provider hasn't got any issues or done something to your account.  I've only had these issues these past months since upgrading to the XR.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Melchett
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I went back to my local store and explained the issue again and the forum suggestion to swap sims.  They were pretty good about it and gave me a new sim there and then.

Unfortunately there still seem to be intermittent issues.  I've had a couple of calls drop out mid-call and people have mentioned poor call quality / speech breaking up since putting the new sim in.  I don't know if it's a separate issue or is related and a sign that the phone is just a bit of a lemon, but I've also noticed that wifi doesn't always connect automatically when there's a signal.

Not sure where to go from here.  Apple diagnostics suggest the phone is working, I've got a new sim, that I've had these issues across several regions in the UK over the past 12 months says I'd have to be very unlucky for it to be a cell tower / reception issue.   Getting to the point of wondering whether the phone is just a lemon and needs replacing. 

Message 11 of 14

Melchett
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for all the suggestions.  However, the phone still isn't working  and this morning I missed a call from the hospital my mother is currently in.  No missed call showing no nothing until an answerphone message from the hospital literally appeared out of nowhere 12 hours after the call was made.

I just don't trust the phone now.  It needs fixing or replacing and if O2 can't do anything beyond a sim swap - which they have done to no avail - I'l lhave to consider my options. 

Message 12 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Have you got another phone you can try the sim in?
That would tell you if it is phone or sim (no issues in different phone, phone problem; same issues in different phone, sim problem).
Failing that you will have to try Apple again...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 14

-JS-
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Wrong chat

Message 14 of 14