Did you mean: 

Intermittently not receiving calls / texts

Melchett
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have been with O2 for years, so this isn't a sim swap issue.  I changed from an iPhone 6S to an XR at the start of the year and have been having intermittent problems of not getting calls and texts when the phone is at rest i.e sitting on the desk doing nothing.

Over the summer I would often find when I picked the phone up I would suddenly get several text messages all at once, same for WhatsApp messages.  It was almost like it was storing them up when the phone was locked and then delivering them all at the same time when it was unlocked.  I know the Do Not Disturb feature has this as an option, but I never have DND turned on.

This has been happening intermittently all summer at various locations where I've been working so it's not tied to poor reception in one area.

Then last week I started missing calls.  I would get a message saying I had missed a call from a number even though the phone didn't ring. When I called the number to check I was told it had gone straight to voicemail.

I've spoken to Apple who ran diagnostics on the phone and said nothing wrong with the phone, check your service provider hasn't got any issues or done something to your account.  I've only had these issues these past months since upgrading to the XR.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Melchett You can check the signal in the areas you've been here: O2 | Service Status

If there doesn't appear to be problem with your locations, you'll need to speak to customer service.

O2 aren't very much interested in talking to customers these days unless they're buying something or upgrading, so if you want to discuss your issue, below is the advice from an O2 Guru on how to get through.
Call 202 from your mobile.
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.

Other available numbers are here: Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

You'll have to lie and use the Lost/Stolen or Fraud option to get through. Otherwise you'll just be disconnected.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Melchett 

Just check that you have background app refresh turned on and after that, I'd try a new SIM.

O2 stores should be reopening in some areas very soon, so you can pop in for a free SIM swap to see if it helps.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

Melchett
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Bambino

Thanks for the suggestion.  Funnily enough, it is coming up with there being a problem with a nearby mast., and I 've just had 2 text messages in the past hour - one which came through as normal and another which didn't.

However, I work away from home at different locations across country, so over the year to say it's a coverage issue would have made me rather unlucky to have dodgy reception in the specific areas I've been in. 

I'll try customer services tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves. 

Message 4 of 14

Melchett
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5,

It is indeed turned on - with some individaul apps turned off to minimise useage.  I'll give customer services a call to see what they say.  I'm not confident about going back to an O2 store - they really couldn't have been less interested if they tried when I went the first time round.  A serious black mark against the O2 brand in my book.

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Melchett
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Jonsie

The only other concern I have is that this rumbles on and both O2 and Apple turn round and say 'out of warranty, not interested' even though it was raised whilst in warranty.

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Melchett 

Just ask the store to give you a new sim.

They don't have to do anything else other than a sim swap.

If you care to name the store we'll get our community managers to pass on your feedback for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

Melchett
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

It's still seems to be a bit intermittent, just don't get it.  I've got a day off later this week, so will pop into town to try again at my local store and try to get a new sim out of them.  Rather give them another chance before publicly naming and shaming - it is nearly Christmas after all!

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Let us know how you get on @Melchett 

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14