Imessage only finds my pre-ported number

VestyMcVestFace
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently joined o2 from EE

Ported my number over fine (it seemed)

Set up Imessage fine, And changed number in Settings to the number I wanted. 

Receiving texts and calls to the correct number,

However, yesterday my imessages started coming from the temporary o2 number which is no longer in service.

But there is no trace of that number anywhere on my phone/apple ID.

I have tried everything suggested on google, and no joy. Turned off all imessage/face time, reset network settings, ensured the correct number is listed in my phone settings. turned off phone and waited for a while,

Rebooted phone, turn on Imessage, it activates but still attaches it to the pre-ported temporary o2 number....

Apple say this sounds like the carrier doing a poor job of porting, and o2 only suggest the same things I have tried.

If you text the pre-ported number (the o2 number i do not want) nothing comes through and it says number not recognisd.  and if you call or text my ported ee number they come through fine.  

If i Text NUMBER to 2020, it confirms my number is the correct ported number.

But still Imessage only activates to the o2 pre-ported number. If I click the send/receive button, it just lists this wrong number and my email address.

No idea what to try now but it is verry annoying.

Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@VestyMcVestFace 

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest is a sim swap.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@VestyMcVestFace 

Is the number still showing in Messages >Send and receive or your email address which maybe connected to the O2 account?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 29

VestyMcVestFace
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

Messages > Send & Receive - Shows the pre-ported number I do not want,  AND my email address (Apple ID/icloud)

If I sign out of Applie ID/Icloud, and retry the recommended steps, then iMessage still just activated to the pre-ported number that i do not want/no longer works. And just lists the number is send/recieve

---

In Settings >  Phone > my correct number is listed there, and also the only number in 'my card' in my contacts.

---

if I go into Settings > Applie ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > Its lists contable at: 'my email address' 'and my ported number from EE'

Underneath this it says, these phone numbers and email address can be used to contact you via imessage, face time, game center and more

but depsite it saying that, Imessage only acticates to the pre-ported o2 number...

---

I am absolutely baffled, it is as if the sim card is still giving off the pre ported number somehow !

Message 3 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@VestyMcVestFace 

Have you tried to remove number from iCloud?

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-an-Apple-ID-Phone-Number-on-an-iPhone

Currently using:
Message 4 of 29

VestyMcVestFace
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

I think the images on that link looks like screenshots from an old IOS, as the menus do not look like that on this new iphone11

if the new section is now what I belive it is (right at the top of settings) then the pre ported temporary o2 number that I do not want is nowhere to be seen in that settings.

It jsut has my apple ID email and my ported EE number (correct number)

It then also lists my devices and their contact numbers

I phone 11 - lists my ported EE number which is correct, but this wont activate to imessage

Old Iphone 5s - which lists the same number as above...

iphone 6 - which i used inbetween - no contact number listed.

Was thinking of removing the 5s from the account? but not sure if this would actually fix it!?

Message 5 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@VestyMcVestFace 

Definitely remove any old devices and only keep those currently in use.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@VestyMcVestFace 

A suggestion that changing your Apple ID password will delete all numbers https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201349

Currently using:
Message 7 of 29

VestyMcVestFace
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay thanks,

I will change password and old devices from the menu and see what happens.

Although im a bit skeptical this will work, as even signing out of apple ID, resetting my phone and trying to use Imessage, it still activates imessage to the pre-ported o2 number.

But we will see.....

Message 8 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@VestyMcVestFace 

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest is a sim swap.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 29

VestyMcVestFace
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

Removing devices and change of password, still no joy

Imessage activates still to the pre-ported number....

Baffling,

o2 Have a new sim coming to me,  which I have to activate when it arrives,

So hopefully this fixes it, but im not very optimistic with the way things are going

Message 10 of 29