cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6s dying with 30% battery remaining.

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Okie dokie, here goes... my iPhone 6s has started to randomly switch off, as if out of battery (the little animation appears to prompt you to plug in the charger) whilst still having between 30/40% battery remaining. Plugging the phone in restarts it, and it'll show the same 30 odd % of battery remaining as before it shut down

. It's a real PITA as I'm having to carry a power bank with me in case my phone switches off whilst out.

I've googled this, read up on the Apple forums and it seems to be an ongoing issue with some iPhones. After going through diagnostics with Apple chat, and them looking at the software results they've said it's got to be a firmware issue.

I also followed a trouble shooting fix from the Apple community for this issue. It consists of fully charging and fully discharging the battery a few times, in the hope that it fixes the problem. It didn't make a difference in my case.

I'm booked into the Apple genius bar on Tuesday, so I'll update this thread with the outcome. I thought it might be helpful for other ppl finding themselves with this issue to document the process.

Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @starwarsfan Advice given on this other thread you started http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iphone-6s-battery-issue-nobody-dealing-wi...

Don't send the poor chap round in circles Confused

I wouldn't normally but people had given him advice on his own thread so no point him posting twice?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 51 of 65

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I think it was because Gary sent him to this thread initially.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 65

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Sorry, my bad.
Was just pointing out this one as another member had their faulty phone swapped, and if theirs is also faulty they should see the same service...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 53 of 65

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Don't worry - No biggie mate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 54 of 65

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I am also running on slow slow stop so was a tad confused myself wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 55 of 65

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hmmmm my daughters iPhone 6s does this
Message 56 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@viridis she needs to start the same process as I did with Apple CS. Book her into the nearest store for an appointment.

They'll want to see the logs though before and after resets so don't wipe the phone to start with is my advice.
Message 57 of 65

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@viridis see this https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/ posted in the similar thread

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 58 of 65

Anonymous
Not applicable

When this happened before, iphone allowed people to enter their serial number to find out if theirs was part of the faulty batch. 

This time they are not doing that then claiming it is not their fault when you make the effort to go to the store. 

My iphone 6s shuts itself down as soon as it reaches 32%. I have never seen it go to less than 20% before shutting itself down. 

I live almost an hour away from the nearest Apple store. 

Message 59 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Anonymous once you've spoken to Apple support they should be able to determine if yours is an affected device.

What exactly have the Apple store said?
Message 60 of 65