cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6s dying with 30% battery remaining.

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Okie dokie, here goes... my iPhone 6s has started to randomly switch off, as if out of battery (the little animation appears to prompt you to plug in the charger) whilst still having between 30/40% battery remaining. Plugging the phone in restarts it, and it'll show the same 30 odd % of battery remaining as before it shut down

. It's a real PITA as I'm having to carry a power bank with me in case my phone switches off whilst out.

I've googled this, read up on the Apple forums and it seems to be an ongoing issue with some iPhones. After going through diagnostics with Apple chat, and them looking at the software results they've said it's got to be a firmware issue.

I also followed a trouble shooting fix from the Apple community for this issue. It consists of fully charging and fully discharging the battery a few times, in the hope that it fixes the problem. It didn't make a difference in my case.

I'm booked into the Apple genius bar on Tuesday, so I'll update this thread with the outcome. I thought it might be helpful for other ppl finding themselves with this issue to document the process.

Message 1 of 65
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@viridis see this https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/ posted in the similar thread

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 58 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for posting @gindygoo. Let us know the outcome, as you say it will be helpful for others experiencing this frustrating problem...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Cleoriff yeah when I googled the problem, I didn't see the O2 forums pop-up. The Apple forums are ok, but I do prefer looking here or on gg tbh 😛 Aaaand hopefully if another O2 customer experiences this issue, and sees this, they'll go straight to Apple instead of risking an Anovo debacle 😱
Message 3 of 65

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The tip on the apple community was it like this one http://iphone-tricks.com/tutorial/375-calibrate-iphone-battery-for-a-more-accurate-percentage with a reset after charging or just straight charge and drain?

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Yes there were a few different ones @adamtemp64 so I did the reset as well as drain - charge -repeat. 

It's made no difference and Apple said looking at the diagnostic logs that there's nothing wrong software wise, I advised of the reset trick and they said no it wouldn't have worked (it didn't lol) as it's got to be a hardware/firmware problem. 

It's just a shame I live in a busy city, so I've had a 5 day wait to see an Apple genius.

Message 5 of 65

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ok has anybody advised to do a clean install of the latest firmware ?

Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 65

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You've done the right thing by getting it booked in for the experts to look at it.
I wouldn't reinstall any firmware yet as this would likely wipe all the diagnostic data that apple will need.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@adamtemp64 I asked about that when chatting with the Apple guy, I saw it on the Apple community I think.

Anyway, he said not to do it, and that Apple store will do all that kind of stuff. I think @MI5 is likely right and that they'll need the info on the phone.

Tbh I'm hoping they just do a swap and give me a replacement. But I'm managing my expectations, and if I do get a replacement it'll be a bonus not a let down!
Message 8 of 65

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Sounds like a faulty battery, I've had a few phones so this until swapping the battery and it went away. Hope they sort it under warranty for you.
Message 9 of 65

gindygoo
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
So, my iPhone is off to the Apple doctor today. I'll update this thread with the outcome..

Fingers crossed guys.
Message 10 of 65