cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 4 Water Damage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone help, droped my IPhone in water. Currently have the phone in a bag of rice. No screen but phone is receiving calls. Phone is now switched off. Is the phone likely to be permanently damaged?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Most likely stuffed but all you can do is keep it in the rice for a few days in a warm place (airing cupboard etc) and pray slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Most likely stuffed but all you can do is keep it in the rice for a few days in a warm place (airing cupboard etc) and pray slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

You did the right thing putting it in a bag of rice, but I believe the main reason phones dropped in water become unusable is because people are impatient and turn them on while still wet inside.  Switching them on while wet can cause a short circuit.  Most damage occurs when the inside of a phone is wet and connected to a power source.  If the phone was on when you got it wet, turn it off.

It is also recommended you don't move the phone about too much presumably to prevent the water getting further into the phone than it may have gone.  Take any case off as that could slow down the drying out.  Don't consider using a hair dryer even on cold as the blast of air can also force the water further in.

It's also recommended that the battery is removed, obviously this can't be done with an iPhone but worth knowing if anyone you know has the problem with their phone.

You have to wait at least 24 hours, longer if you can, before checking if the phone works. 

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

An issue with water ingretion is the oxidation on the motherboard, which can cause failure of the handset.
Message 4 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I was ingreted once, never again! Smiley LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 5