cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to unlock my IPhone 5S so that I can use it now in India

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys, 

I am stuck without a phone. I just landed in India last night unfortunately I cannot use my IPhone 5S even after paying for an Indian Phone. I bought my IPhone from Carphone warehouse, I assumed the phone is opened

Regards

Dominic.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

On the link posted you will find a form you need to fill in (or go on webchat and they will do the request for you). It can take up to 72 hours for the SMS confirmation of the unlatching.Once you receive the SMS confirmation you need to complete the following either of the processes below to complete the unlatch:

• Remove your SIM card and insert the other networks SIM card.
  • complete the setup process.

Or

• iTunes via USB - place the other networks SIM into the iPhone and connect to iTunes via USB
  • follow the on-screen instructions to complete the unlatch.

NOTE: you must be signed into the iTunes account which was used to activate the handset otherwise

The SMS that you receive will not be an unlocking code, it is simply confirmation the handset has been unlocked.

Edit: Just to add and correct some information.

The "other network sim card" does NOT have to be a UK sim, so the Indian sim will be ok. hope this helps slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume it's locked to O2 ?

Do you have another active uk SIM card such as vodaphone as an example. If so then follow this link

Http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

If not I think your stuck.
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

On the link posted you will find a form you need to fill in (or go on webchat and they will do the request for you). It can take up to 72 hours for the SMS confirmation of the unlatching.Once you receive the SMS confirmation you need to complete the following either of the processes below to complete the unlatch:

• Remove your SIM card and insert the other networks SIM card.
  • complete the setup process.

Or

• iTunes via USB - place the other networks SIM into the iPhone and connect to iTunes via USB
  • follow the on-screen instructions to complete the unlatch.

NOTE: you must be signed into the iTunes account which was used to activate the handset otherwise

The SMS that you receive will not be an unlocking code, it is simply confirmation the handset has been unlocked.

Edit: Just to add and correct some information.

The "other network sim card" does NOT have to be a UK sim, so the Indian sim will be ok. hope this helps slight_smile

Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 124279 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Thanks for this information @Anonymous  Very informative wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wishing you best of luck with that, o2 are well and truly stuck in the dark ages when it comes to allowing people to unlock their phones, being trying for ages to get my iPhone 6 unlocked. Without paying off the contract you are stuck with it i'm afraid to say. I'm away in the USA next week and i won't even use my phone because of the extortionate prices o2 charge for international roaming :(. It's not like I'm going to leave o2 (very happy with everything else) i only want to use a local sim for the time i'm away 😞
Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 124279 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

I thought the time had come when the Iphone 6 could be unlocked? I can't find the thread now but one member posted a couple of weeks back that he had been allowed to unlock his?

I will ask @Anonymous  for confirmation. She works for O2 and will be able to confirm  ...or any other member of course?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi!

Unfortunately for @Anonymous that is incorrect, the options are still to wait or pay the device plan in full ...Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 124279 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

hi!

Unfortunately for @Anonymous that is incorrect, the options are still to wait or pay the device plan in full ...Smiley Frustrated

Mmmmmm...perhaps the person who posted had paid his device plan then....?

I know we were surprised because we thought March at least before the 6 months were up...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147032 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28283 Solutions
iPhone unlocking rules have always been the same and are clearly posted on the website.
I don't agree with them personally, but that's the rule I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I recall the previous post about iPhone 6 being unlocked was because they had paid the device plan off.

The original OP regarding CPW Apple handsets? They lock out to the first sim placed in them hence why you are having issues.
Message 10 of 13