Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unlock my iPhone 6?

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to unlock my iPhone 6? 

My 2 year contract naturally expired yesterday and the phone plan of my contract is now all paid off in full. I did Google this but it said I can only do this via the My O2 part of the website (I'm not even sure how I would do this ?!) and by connecting my iPhone to iTunes with a different sim inside??

im sure I've seen a link somewhere on here where you can request this? 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Update!!!

Just received a text and an email from O2 confirming that my iPhone 6 is now unlocked. 

However, it also states that "....to complete the process, connect to iTunes and it will confirm phone is unlocked". Is this REALLY necessary?! 

I have never used iTunes with my iPhone (always used iCloud) so really don't want to connect to it as no doubt, it will start syncing stuff which I don't want it to do!!!!!

Is it a simple matter of just inserting a non O2 sim into my phone and away I go?!! 

Message 31 of 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No need for iTunes unless the phone says "unsupported sim" when you swap it over.
Usually just inserting the sim will be enough.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 41

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No need for iTunes unless the phone says "unsupported sim" when you swap it over.
Usually just inserting the sim will be enough.

Perfect, cheers for that @MI5 - appreciated. Fantastic

Now just need to wait for my EE sim to arrive, which should be any day now! Will be interesting to see what the coverage and speeds are like with EE - can't be any worse than O2 Smiley Very Happy

Message 33 of 41

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 34 of 41

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...ok, final stupid question! Smiley Embarassed

When I insert my EE SIM into my now unlocked iPhone 6, its not gonna then lock to EE is it?! 

Only reason I ask is that I will be passing my iPhone 6 to my wife in about a week's time, who's on O2, so obviously don't want my handset locking up onto the EE network before I give her the phone?!!!!

Message 35 of 41

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, it won't lock to EE.

Currently using:
Message 36 of 41

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
No, it won't lock to EE.

...thanks @MI5.

Smiley Embarassed:smileyhappy:

Message 37 of 41

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...well, that was painless enough!!!

My number finally ported over to my EE sim, and my iPhone 6, now has the EE SIM inside, and is working fine (without having to connect to iTunes, as O2 Chat wrongly suggested!! Bang )

One quick thing though - the options for viewig the APN Data settings seemed to have now vanished, when my phone booted up?! I am 100% sure these options were there, when my phone had the O2 SIM inside - why has EE taken this functionality away (is it not possible to view the settings)?!

And just one other thing (ok, I know this is an O2 forum but...) - my EE Carrier Versioin now shows V24.1 - is this the latest version?!

Message 38 of 41

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No idea about EE and iPhones mate.
I'd suggest you try their forum, answers prob there already if you search.

Currently using:
Message 39 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

THEY REALLY DONT MAKE THIS EASY!!

My IPhone 6 contract ended. I've switched to EE.

1. Went into 02 shop to get my old 02 iPhone unlocked - 02 shop said "call customer services"
  2. Called customer services - They said "we cant do it anymore, do it online"
  3. Logged into My02 - For the life of me I cannot see where in my account it allows me to unlock the phone.

(Cant use the app as phone now wiped ready for gifting to wife)

Have been passed from pillar to post by 02 (hardly tempting me to return one day...) and am now sitting looking at my 02 page wondering where the link is to unlock the old phone....

HELP?!

Message 40 of 41