Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unlock my iPhone 6?

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to unlock my iPhone 6? 

My 2 year contract naturally expired yesterday and the phone plan of my contract is now all paid off in full. I did Google this but it said I can only do this via the My O2 part of the website (I'm not even sure how I would do this ?!) and by connecting my iPhone to iTunes with a different sim inside??

im sure I've seen a link somewhere on here where you can request this? 

Message 1 of 41
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
In your MyO2 there is an unlock request under your device details.
You shouldn't need to connect to iTunes anymore once the request is processed you just put a non o2 network sim in it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You shouldn't need to connect to iTunes anymore once the request is processed you just put a non o2 network sim in it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 41

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

unlockphone.PNG

Currently using:
Message 3 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems a much simpler way to do it

Message 4 of 41

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Is this within the My O2 app on my phone or are you talking about on the web?

And will I get some kind of confirmation that my phone has indeed been unlocked? 

Can I carry on using an O2 sim in it once it's been unlocked?! 

Message 5 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's in the app itself. Once it's unlocked you can use any sim you want 

Message 6 of 41

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DinoF wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Is this within the My O2 app on my phone or are you talking about on the web? Both

And will I get some kind of confirmation that my phone has indeed been unlocked?  Yes, an email.

Can I carry on using an O2 sim in it once it's been unlocked?!  Yes

Currently using:
Message 7 of 41

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Perfect, cheers guys. Will look inside the app and see what I can find!!! 

EDIT - Well that was simple! Hit the request button and now I just gotta wait! It said it should take 24 hours but could take up to 7 days. I guess I just now wait for the email to confirm unlock! 

So what exactly happens when I put a new sim in? How does my iPhone grab the new sim's settings for data etc?! 

Message 8 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you insert the sim it will recognise the carrier of the sim you put in. If not then do manual selection & find the right one. The APN's for the right sim should be easily found online

Message 9 of 41

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It will ask you if you want to accept a new carrier update which will include the correct settings for the new network.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 41